UP Journo Death: Guv Asks CM Akhilesh to Order Impartial Probe
UP Guv Ram Naik speaks with CM Akhilesh as the case has generated interest across the country.
Uttar Pradesh Governor Ram Naik on Thursday advised Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav to conduct an impartial inquiry into Shahjahanpur journalist Jagendra Singh’s case.
Naik met the Chief Minister at Raj Bhawan and held a detailed discussion over the death of the journalist an official spokesman said in Lucknow.
What Did Ram Naik say?
• As the incident involved a journalist, it has become a subject of discussion not only in the state but across the country.
• There is a need to instill confidence among people by ensuring a fair inquiry.
• Several political parties, journalist associations and other organisations had submitted memoranda to him in connection with the matter.
• There is a need to provide proper financial assistance to journalist Rajendra Singh’s family.
Who Stands Where
– A delegation of BJP and Congress leaders had met the Governor on Wednesday demanding the dismissal of Minister of State for Backward Classes Welfare Ram Murti Verma. He has been accused of orchestrating the journalist’s murder.
– Akhilesh said a detailed inquiry was being conducted by IG Bareilly range R K S Rathore. He also assured the Governor that the probe would be impartial, speedy and justifiable.
– The Allahabad High Court also has directed the state government to file a status report within a week in the matter.
Singh was allegedly set on fire by policemen on June 1 during a raid at his house at Vikas Colony in Sadar Bazar, Shahjahanpur. He died during treatment at a hospital in Lucknow on June 8.
(With inputs from PTI)
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.