ADVERTISEMENT

'No decision to withdraw Italian troops from Afghanistan'

'No decision to withdraw Italian troops from Afghanistan'

Published
Hot News
1 min read
Elisabetta Trenta. (Photo: Twitter/@Eli_Trenta)
Rome, Jan 29 (IANS/AKI) Italian Defence Minister Elizabetta Trenta has not yet decided to pull out the country's troops from war-torn Afghanistan, officials said after reports that the withdrawal could take place within a year.
"At the moment no decision has been made, only an evaluation by the minister," said the officials of the League Party, which governs Italy in coalition with the populist Five-Star Movement.
"We'll do what we need to do to bring peace and stability back to the country," they added.
Earlier on Monday, Defence Ministry officials said that Trenta had asked an inter-force committee to look at a plan to withdraw approximately 900 Italian soldiers from Afghanistan and that the timescale "could be 12 months".
--IANS/AKI
soni/

(This story was auto-published from a syndicated feed. No part of the story has been edited by The Quint.)

(This story was auto-published from a syndicated feed. No part of the story has been edited by The Quint.)

(The Quint is available on Telegram. For handpicked stories every day, subscribe to us on Telegram)

We'll get through this! Meanwhile, here's all you need to know about the Coronavirus outbreak to keep yourself safe, informed, and updated.

Liked this story? We'll send you more. Subscribe to The Quint's newsletter and get selected stories delivered to your inbox every day. Click to get started.

The Quint is available on Telegram & WhatsApp too, click to join.

ADVERTISEMENT
Stay Updated

Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.

Join over 120,000 subscribers!
ADVERTISEMENT