Iran Unveils Second Underground Missile, Likely to Irk US
United States said Iran’s act can take a nuclear warhead and violate a 2010 UN Security Council resolution.
Iran unveiled a new underground missile depot on Tuesday with state television showing Emad precision-guided missiles in store. The United States says this missile depot can take a nuclear warhead and also violate a 2010 UN Security Council resolution.
Release of the one-minute video followed footage of another underground missile depot last October.
The defiant move to publicise Iran’s missile programme seemed certain to irk the United States as it plans to dismantle nearly all sanctions on Iran under a breakthrough nuclear agreement.
Tasnim news agency and state television video said the underground facility, situated in mountains and run by Iran’s Revolutionary Guards, was inaugurated by the speaker of parliament, Ali Larijani.
The United States says the Emad, which Iran tested in October, would be capable of carrying a nuclear warhead. US officials said Washington will respond to the Emad tests with fresh sanctions against Iranian individuals and businesses linked to the programme.
In July 14, 2015, when the pact was inked, US President Obama had said,
Today the united states together with our allies and partners have reached a historic understanding with Iran which if fully implemented will prevent it from obtaining a nuclear weapon.
Iran boasting about its missile capabilities are a challenge to US President Barack Obama’s administration as the United States and EU plan to dismantle nearly all international sanctions against Tehran under the nuclear deal reached in July.
Iran has abided by the main terms of the nuclear deal, which requires it to give up material that world powers feared could be used to make an atomic weapon.
But President Hassan Rouhani ordered his Defence Minister last week to expand the missile programme.
The Iranian missiles that are under development, boast much-improved accuracy over the current generation, which experts say is likely to improve their effectiveness with conventional warheads.
The Revolutionary Guards’ second-in-command, Brigadier General Hossein Salami, said last Friday that Iran’s depots and underground facilities are so full that they do not know how to store their new missiles.
Also Read on The Quint
(The Quint is available on Telegram. For handpicked stories every day, subscribe to us on Telegram)
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.