Hezbollah Top Military Chief Dead, Syria Death Toll Reaches 19
Hezbollah is listed as a terrorist group by Washington.
- Hezbollah, on Friday, announced the death of its military commander, Mustafa Badreddine, in Syria. Hezbollah with Iran is battling on the side of the regime in Damascus – making the trio de facto allows on the ground.
- Badreddine was one of five from Hezbollah accused for the assassination of Rafic Hariri, former PM of Lebanon. In 2012, US Treasury imposed sanctions on Badreddine and others for the movement’s “active support to the regime of Syrian President Bashar (al-)Assad, as well as its role in terrorist activities”. Hezbollah is listed as a terrorist group by Washington.
He said a few months ago, ‘I will not come back from Syria, unless a martyr or carrying the flag of victory’. He is the top commander Mustafa Badreddine. And he came back today as a martyr.Shiite movement in a statement carried by the Al-Manar TV channel
- Israel fears the chaos in Syria could strengthen Hezbollah. PM Benjamin Netanyahu in April admitted that the Israeli army had attacked convoys transporting weapons to the group.
Syria Qaeda Kills 19 Civilians
- Al-Qaeda fighter and allies shot and killed 19 civilians from President Bashar al-Assad’s Alewife minority, reports a monitor on Friday. Other villagers were kidnapped following the assault in which, eight pro-regime militiamen were killed defending al-Zara in Hama province.
- The five-year civil war in Syria has enflamed sectarian resentment between the country’s Sunni majority and the Alawite minority that is the main prop of the Assad regime.
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.
Join over 120,000 subscribers!