Still Using a PC With Windows 7? You Need to Upgrade Right Away
The deadline for end of security support for Windows 7 is just a few weeks away, have you upgraded yet?
The year 2020 is here, and if you’re still using a laptop or a PC which is running on Windows 7, it’s time to make an OS upgrade.
Because from 14 January onwards, the version (Windows 7) will no longer get security support from Microsoft, and they have been talking about this development for over a year now.
However, the company is clear that even though Windows 7 will continue to run on your system, it won’t be secure from possible malware or cyber attacks in the near future. Putting your device at a greater risk. So, in order to avoid such a situation, the company wants you to upgrade to Windows 10, which involves you investing in a device.
It has even put forth the conditions which suggest if you have a device (originally running Windows 7) older than three years, it’s time to invest in a new Windows system.
While it is possible to install Windows 10 on your older device, it is not recommended. If your computer is more than three years old, it might be time to consider upgrading to a new device.Microsoft support page
What Happens to Windows 7 on 14 January?
- Loses technical support for any issues
- No software updates
- No security update or fixes
Now, this might put most people in a spot of bother, but we’d recommend you to check the health of your device from a nearby laptop store to know whether it would be able to run Windows 10 or not. If so, you don’t have to spend big on a new laptop right away.
And if you’re planning to upgrade to Windows 10, Microsoft advises you to back up all the files on the cloud (if you’re comfortable with that) or put it on an external storage drive.
Many of you might be wondering if Microsoft is letting people upgrade to Windows 10 for free. There was an offer to upgrade but that was only available when Windows 10 first released, and the option expired on 29 July 2016.
But there’s another way you can upgrade to Windows 10 today. Follow these steps and you’ll be able to get the latest version without spending money on it.
How to Get Windows 10 Upgrade for Free
- Head over the Windows 10 page here and click on ‘Download tool now’ given below the ‘Create Windows 10 installation media’ section.
- Open the downloaded file on your PC and run the ‘Media creation tool’ after accepting the license terms
- Now, select ‘Upgrade PC this now’ option and click on ‘Next’
- Make sure to click on ‘keep personal files and apps’ to retain your existing data and then click on ‘Continue’
- Now Windows 10 will start installing on your PC, this will take some time to get done
- Once you see Windows 10 flashing on the screen, connect your PC to the internet, open Settings, over there go to Windows Update and click on Activation after which your licensed Windows 7 PC will be upgraded.
- For this step to work your PC needs to be running on original Windows 10 version.
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.