PV Sindhu To Face Carolina Marin in Sunday’s India Open Final
PV Sindhu beat Sung Ji Hyun 21-18, 14-21, 21-14 in the semi-final of India Open at New Delhi on Saturday.
- SF 1: Carolina Marin beat Akane Yamaguchi 21-16 21-14
- SF 2: PV Sindhu beat Sung Ji Hyun 21-18, 14-21, 21-14
- PV Sindhu vs Carolina Marin final on Sunday at 6:30 pm(approx)
Olympic silver medallist PV Sindhu set up a summit showdown with Carolina Marin after a hard-fought win over world number four South Korean Sung Ji Hyun in the semifinals of the India Open Super Series.
Playing at the Siri Fort Sports Complex in New Delhi, Sindhu dished out a superb performance to outwit the second seeded Hyun 21-18, 14-21, 21-14.
Waiting for her in the final now is world number 3 and two-time world champion Carolina Marin. The Spanish star defeated Japan's Akane Yamaguchi, seeded fourth, 21-16 21-14 in an easy contest at the other end of the draw.
Sindhu came into her semi-final match with a 6-4 head-to-head record against Sung Ji Hyun and displayed nerves of steel to win the marathon fixture.
I was prepared from the start because it’s was always going to be a long match. So, in the second game, I was leading 5-2 but made simple errors as I hit a mid-court smash outside. From there she lead 11-6 and I tried, but she maintained the lead and finished it off.PV Sindhu
The only Indian left in contention in her home tournament, Sindhu now plays Carolina Marin in today’s final. The two have locked horns nine times in the past with Marin leading the head-to-head 5-4. However, Sindhu finished on top in their previous encounter at the Dubai World Superseries Final in December 2016.
Past Encounters: Sindhu vs Marin
- Dubai World Superseries Final(Dec 2016) - PV Sindhu beat Carolina Marin 21-17, 21-13
- Rio Olympics(Aug 2016) - Carolina Marin beat PV Sindhu 19-21, 21-12, 21-15
- Hong Kong Open(Nov 2015) - Carolina Marin beat PV Sindhu 21-17, 21-9
- Denmark Open(Oct 2015) - PV Sindhu beat Carolina Marin15-21, 21-18, 17-21
- Syed Modi Championships(Jan 2015) - Carolina Marin beat PV Sindhu 21-13, 21-13
- World Championships(Aug 2014) - Carolina Marin beat PV Sindhu 21-17, 21-15
- Australian Open(June 2014) - Carolina Marin beat PV Sindhu 21-17, 21-15
- Maldives Challenger(2011) - PV Sindhu beat Carolina Marin 21-7, 15-21, 21-13
- World Junior Championships(April, 2010) PV Sindhu beat Carolina Marin 21-17, 21-19
At Dubai finals I beat her but she defeated me at PBL, but this time it will be at Delhi so I will have the support. However it will be a new game, new conditions, new style. She might know my game and I might know hers, we both will have this feeling that we won against each other. But it will be a fresh strategy, fresh game, so who plays best on that day will win. I just hope for the best.PV Sindhu
Marin on her part has been struggling with injuries this year with a lower back strain forcing her to pull out of the German Open final in March. Against Sindhu though, she said she will be set to increase her record, “It will be a good game for the spectators. I like playing here because the spectators love badminton and I hope I get the support like I received so far."
Asked what has she learnt watching Sindhu since their Olympic final, Marin laughed and said: "I can't tell you the strategy. Because then Sindhu will see it in news... so you will have to wait."
Sindhu had clinched her maiden Super Series Premier title at China Open last year before reaching the final at the Hong Kong Open.
This season, she guided the Chennai Smashers to a title victory in the Premier Badminton League (PBL). She started the new international season with a win at the Syed Modi International Grand Prix Gold tournament at Lucknow in January.
(With inputs from PTI)
Join The Quint on WhatsApp. Type “JOIN” and send to 9910181818
(The Quint is available on Telegram. For handpicked stories every day, subscribe to us on Telegram)
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.