Indore Test Day 1 Stats: Ashwin Breaks Record, B’desh Hits New Low
A look at all the records broken on Day 1 of the India vs Bangladesh Test in Indore.
Indian pacer Mohammed Shami grabbed a team hat-trick, while Cheteshwar Pujara struck a fluent unbeaten 43 to help India first bundle out Bangladesh for 150 and then put up 86/1 on the board, at stumps on Day 1 of the first Test on Thursday.
India, who dominated proceedings on the first day, trail by just 64 runs with nine wickets in hand.
Pujara, who is known to take his time at the crease, played aggressively and got to 43 from 61 balls with the help of seven elegant boundaries. At the other end, Mayank Agarwal -- dropped on 32 by Imrul Kayes off Abu Jyaed --remained unbeaten on 37 from 81 deliveries (4x6).
The pair joined hands for an unbroken 72-run stand for the first wicket after Jayed had Rohit Sharma (6) caught behind by Liton Das.
Here’s a list of all the big records from the day:
- Ravichandran Ashwin is the third Indian bowler to complete 250 wickets in 42 Tests at an average of 22.83 at home, joining Anil Kumble (350 in 63) and Harbhajan Singh (265 in 55). Ashwin's feat is the joint fastest by a bowler in home Tests. Muttiah Muralitharan had also taken 42 Tests for his 250 wickets at home.
- For the record, five bowlers have taken 300 wickets or more in Tests at home - Muttiah Muralitharan (493), James Anderson (368), Anil Kumble (350), Shane Warne (319) and Stuart Broad (305).
- Bangladesh's 150 in the first innings is their lowest score vs India in India in Tests, surpassing the 250 in the second innings of the Hyderabad Test in 2016-17. Their all-time lowest score against India remains 91, at Dhaka in November 2010.
- Imrul Kayes is averaging just 21.80 in 14 Tests away from home - his tally being 567 runs in 27 innings, including a fifty, at a strike rate of 47.13.
- Mominul Haque, since recording 77 vs South Africa at Potchefstroom in September 2017, has posted his highest score (37) away from home. In his previous eleven overseas innings, his sequence of scores was 0, 4, 11, 1, 0, 0, 15, 12, 8, 15 & 10.
- Mushfiqur Rahim, since posting an unbeaten career-best 219 against Zimbabwe at Dhaka in November 2018, has recorded his highest score in seven Test innings.
- Mushfiqur is averaging 54.28 against India - his tally is 380 in eight innings (five Tests), including two hundreds. His average is the highest among the Bangladeshi batsmen with 200 runs or more in Tests against India.
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.