Two new cases of the novel coronavirus have been detected in Karnataka's Kalburgi and Bengaluru, the state Medical Education Minister Dr K Sudhakar, said on Monday, 16 March.
Meanwhile, Italy on Monday, reported 349 more deaths due to coronavirus, taking the total death toll to over 2,000, AFP news agency reported. The global death toll has crossed 7,000.
The first human trial to evaluate a candidate vaccine against coronavirus has begun in Seattle, US health officials said Monday.
The total number of positive cases of coronavirus in India rose to 114 on Monday, including Indian and foreign nationals.
- Health Ministry said that travellers from the European Union, Turkey and the United Kingdom are prohibited in India from 18 March
- PM Modi cancelled his Bangladesh visit and will attend the scheduled event in Dhaka via video-conferencing on 17 March
- Maharashtra reported 7 more cases raising the total number of cases in the state to 39
- Spain has registered nearly 1,000 new COVID-19 infections over the past 24 hours, raising the total number of cases to 8,744
- Iran announced 129 new virus fatalities on Monday, taking the total death toll in the country to 853
To read all stories on coronavirus, click here.
China Reports Just 1 New Domestic Virus Case, 20 More Imported
China reported on Tuesday, 17 March, just one new domestic coronavirus infection but found 20 more cases imported from abroad, threatening to spoil its progress against the disease, AFP reported.
The single case in Wuhan will boost China's view that it has "basically curbed" the spread of a disease that is believed to have emerged in a live animal market in the central city in December.
US Begins First Human Trial of Coronavirus Vaccine: Statement
The first human trial to evaluate a candidate vaccine against coronavirus disease 2019 has begun in Seattle, US health officials said Monday, 16 March, according to AFP.
"The open-label trial will enroll 45 healthy adult volunteers aged 18 to 55 years over approximately 6 weeks," the US National Institutes of Health (NIH) said in a statement.
"The first participant received the investigational vaccine today," it added.
2 Persons Test Positive in Karnataka's Kalburgi and Bengaluru
Two persons have been tested positive for the novel coronavirus in Karnataka's Kalburgi and Bengaluru, the state Medical Education Minister Dr K Sudhakar said on Monday, 16 March.
"Both patients are quarantined and treated at isolation facilities," he further said.