Fire Engulfs Bhiwandi Building, 25 Rescued, Some Still Trapped
A massive fire broke out at a four-storey garment factory in Bhiwandi in Thane district on Tuesday, officials said.
Twenty-five people have been rescued from the building but some are still feared trapped. The fire department said there have been no casualties yet but an elderly woman sustained minor injuries while being resuced. Rescue operations are underway for those who are still trapped.
The city fire brigade has sent nine fire tenders, ambulances and five water tankers to fight the conflagration which started around 7 a.m. in the building located in the Kazipura area of the town.
The fire broke out in the godown and spread to the rest of the building from there. Police suspect short circuit to be the cause of the fire but are not certain as yet.
(With agency inputs)
(The Quint is now on WhatsApp. To receive handpicked stories on topics you care about, subscribe to our WhatsApp services. Just go to TheQuint.com/WhatsApp and hit the Subscribe button.)