School Principal, 2 Others Arrested After Violence in TN Over Death of Girl

The police opened fire in the air to restrain the violent mob as agitators burnt several buses in protest.

Edited By :Tejas Harad

Video Producer: Mayank Chawla

Video Editor: Pawan Kumar

After violence broke out near Tamil Nadu's Chinnasalem on Sunday, 17 July with protesters demanding justice over the death of a girl student in a school's hostel, three people were arrested in connection with the case.

Shakthi Matriculation school principal Shiva Sankaran, correspondent Ravikumar, and secretary Shanthi have been arrested over the death of the 17-year-old student and for failing to maintain safety at the school hostel. The case has been transferred to CB-CID, as per the police.

On Sunday, chaos had ensued in Chinnasalem as protesters set fire to vehicles and pelted stones. As many as 70 men who were involved in the violence have also been arrested, Director General of Police C Sylendra Babu told reporters.


What Had Happened on Sunday?

The police had opened fire in the air at least twice to restrain the violent mob, who pushed down barricades, stormed the premises of the 'international' school near Chinnasalem, and set parked buses on fire.

Several protesters managed to reach the terrace and vandalised the school name board and held high banners seeking justice for the girl. A police bus too was set on fire. As many as 52 police personnel were injured in the violence, as per DGP Babu.

The vandalism in school will be separately probed into and every aspect like the suspected role of an outfit in mobilising people using social media would all be probed into, he said.

In light of the violence, Kallakurichi District Collector PN Sridhar imposed Section 144 in Kallakurichi, Chinnasalem, and Nainar Palayam.

Girl, Found Dead in Hostel, Left Note Saying She Was Tortured by Teachers

The 17 year-old-girl, studying in class 12 in a private residential school in Chinnasalem, was found dead on 13 July in the hostel premises. She also left behind a note alleging that she was being tortured by two teachers.

The girl, a resident on the third floor of the hostel, was earlier suspected to have ended her life by jumping from the top floor. However, a post-mortem report reportedly indicated that she had sustained injuries before her death. Police registered a case and a probe is on.

The police said that an FIR has been registered and those associated with the case are being questioned.

DIG Sylendra Babu said:

“An FIR has been registered and persons associated with the case are being questioned. The note left behind by the girl stated that she blamed two teachers of torturing her to study. We will take necessary action based on what the investigation reveals.”
DIG Sylendra Babu

"If the investigation reveals that the teachers are responsible then strict action will be taken," he added.

Shocked by her death, her parents, relatives, and people belonging to her village Periyanasalur, off Veppur in Cuddalore district, have been staging non-stop protests seeking justice.


The girl's mother, who claims that there were no stains of blood at the spot she was found dead in, said:

"When we went to see our child at the hospital, we noticed that her head was bleeding. Her clothes had bloodstains in many places. They (school management) claim she fell from the third floor but then how are her hands and legs intact but her head is bleeding so much? When we went to the school, we noticed that there was no blood at the spot she was found dead."

She further said that neither the teachers nor the principal met the family. "By the time we reached the hospital, they had brought in a force of several policemen," she added.

Post-Mortem Findings 

The Quint has accessed the post-mortem report, which noted the following findings:

  • Around 1000 ml of bloody fluid was found in the chest cavity

  • All right ribs were fractured along the para vertebral line, while the left rib cage is intact.

  • The heart is of normal size

  • Lacerations on right lung and right lobe of the liver

  • Abdomen filled with 1200 ml of fluid blood

  • No injuries to genitalia

  • While the skull is intact, bleeding noted on the left side of the scalp

  • Internal bleeding on left side of the brain

  • Pelvic bone and spinal cord are intact

  • All injuries were recent and just prior to death


CM MK Stalin Appeals for Peace

Chief Minister MK Stalin appealed to the people to maintain peace and assured them that those guilty would be punished.

Stalin tweeted, saying that he has directed top officials to rush to Kallakurichi.

Director General of Police C Sylendra Babu appealed to the people to maintain calm and warned against resorting to violence. Tough action would be taken against those indulging in violence, he told reporters in Chennai.

Private school associations in the state have announced a holiday on Monday, 18 July, in view of the violence. In a note, the Tamil Nadu Private Schools Association condoled with the student’s family but strongly condemned the violent protests. “To express our solidarity, private schools in Tamil Nadu will remain closed on Monday,” R Visalaksi, the president of the association, said.

Meanwhile, the Tamil Nadu School Education Department has ordered the Kallakurichi Chief Education Officer to submit a detailed report on the incident.

(With inputs from PTI.)

(At The Quint, we are answerable only to our audience. Play an active role in shaping our journalism by becoming a member. Because the truth is worth it.)

Read Latest News and Breaking News at The Quint, browse for more from south-india

Topics:  Tamil Nadu   Violence   MK Stalin 

Speaking truth to power requires allies like you.
Become a Member
3 months
12 months
12 months
Check Member Benefits
Read More