ADVERTISEMENTREMOVE AD

Utrecht Shooting: Police Still Considering Terror Angle

According to reports, a tram station has been cordoned off.

Updated
World
3 min read
story-hero-img
i
Aa
Aa
Small
Aa
Medium
Aa
Large

Dutch investigators probing the deadly tram shooting in the city of Utrecht have not yet ruled out the possibility of a terror motive, as judicial authorities revealed that the main suspect was released from jail this month itself. A prosecutor had earlier said that the shooting could have been motivated by ‘family reasons’.

At least three people were killed in the tram shooting incident in Utrecht on Monday, 18 March.

The suspected shooter was arrested on Monday itself as the military police launched a manhunt that lasted for much of Monday. The police has released a picture of a 37-year-old man who is suspected to be associated with the incident.

Snapshot
  • Investigators have not ruled out a possible terror motive
  • 37-year-old Gokmen Tanis from Turkey has been arrested as the prime suspect
  • Three people were killed in Monday’s shooting - a 19-year-old woman and two men aged 28 and 49.

(At The Quint, we are answerable only to our audience. Play an active role in shaping our journalism by becoming a member. Because the truth is worth it.)

2:55 PM , 20 Mar

Police Arrest 40-Yr-Old in Connection With Shooting

The Dutch Police has arrested a 40-year old man in Utrecht in connection with the tram shooting on Monday that killed three people.

The man was picked up on Tuesday afternoon and is now, along with Gökmen Tanis, one of two suspects being held in custody. Nothing has been made public about why he was arrested.

Two other men, who are brothers but not related to Tanis, were released on Tuesday afternoon and are no longer considered to be suspects, the public prosecution department’s statement was quoted by Dutch News as saying.

Police are asking more witnesses to come forward as part of their investigation into the shooting. The motive for the shooting remains unclear, although police say they have not established any relationship between the alleged killer and his victims, hence, have also not ruled out a terror motive behind the shooting yet.

ADVERTISEMENTREMOVE AD
4:33 PM , 19 Mar
KEY EVENT

'Terrorist Motive Being Analysed,' Prosecutor Says

Dutch prosecutors on Tuesday, 19 March said that they are still considering a possible terrorist motive seriously for the tram attack based on evidence found in the main suspect, Gokmen Tanis’s car. A letter found in the suspect’s car is being seen as the main evidence.

The police also said that there was no evidence to ascertain the fact that the shooter knew any of the victims.

11:04 PM , 18 Mar

Police Arrest Shooting Suspect

The Dutch police arrested Utrecht shooting suspect, police said, as rpeorted by AFP.

8:07 PM , 18 Mar

3 Killed, 9 Wounded in Shooting Incident: Mayor

The mayor of the Dutch city of Utrecht says that three people have been killed in an attack on a tram and adds that a “terror motive” is the most plausible option.

Jan van Zanen also said that nine have been wounded, three of them seriously.

Van Zanen said that “we cannot exclude, even stronger, we assume a terror motive. Likely there is one attacker, but there could be more.”

Dutch authorities have named a 37-year-old Turkey-born man as linked to the tram shooting.

ADVERTISEMENTREMOVE AD

Published: 18 Mar 2019, 4:14 PM IST
Speaking truth to power requires allies like you.
Become a Member
Read More
×
×