ADVERTISEMENT

Kabul Interior Ministry Attack: IS Claims Responsibility, 1 Dead

A car bomb was detonated at the entrance of the ministry to launch the attack.

Updated
World
2 min read
Security personnel arrive at the site of an attack in the Afghan Interior Ministry in Kabul, Afghanistan on 30 May.
i

Gunmen armed with assault rifles and grenade launchers stormed the heavily fortified headquarters of the Afghan interior ministry on Wednesday, 30 May, ensuing an over two-hour-long battle with security forces as part of the latest attack on the capital city of Kabul.

Islamic State said it was behind Wednesday's attack on Afghanistan's Interior Ministry, but provided no immediate evidence for its claim.

The group released a statement online via its Amaq news agency.

A car bomb was detonated at the entrance of the ministry to launch the attack and then several gunmen managed to get inside the compound, said a senior police official.

Najib Danish, the ministry spokesman, confirmed the attack was carried out by a group of 10 militants and at least one policeman was killed and five were wounded.

A senior ministry official said one attacker blew himself up inside the compound and another was resisting from a watchtower as a plume of dust and smoke rose over the sprawling site.

ADVERTISEMENT

Officials inside the ministry said the attackers could not breach key buildings as they are located far from the main entrance and there is a wide flat space inside the compound, helping Afghan forces subdue the attack quickly.

No group claimed responsibility for the latest in a series of deadly attacks in Kabul this year that has killed and wounded hundreds of people, despite repeated official pledges to improve security in the capital.

Last month, two explosions in Kabul killed at least 26 people, including nine journalists who had arrived to report on an initial blast and were targeted by a suicide bomber which was claimed by the Islamic State fighters.

A week before that, 60 people were killed and more than 100 wounded when a suicide bomber blew himself up outside a voter registration centre in the city.

The attacks underline a worsening security situation ahead of parliamentary and district council elections scheduled for 20 October. The Taliban have threatened to attack voter registration centres.

Security in and around Kabul has been on high alert in recent days with more checkpoints and patrols as the government warned of "complex attacks" by the Taliban on the government or foreign installations in coming weeks.

Provincial cities have also been hit as the Taliban, seeking to reimpose hardline Islamic rule, have stepped up fighting across the country since they announced the beginning of their annual spring offensive in April.

(At The Quint, we are answerable only to our audience. Play an active role in shaping our journalism by becoming a member. Because the truth is worth it.)

ADVERTISEMENT
Published: 
ADVERTISEMENT
Stay Updated

Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.

Join over 120,000 subscribers!
ADVERTISEMENT