Tamil Nadu reported its first death due to the novel coronavirus early on Wednesday, 25 March, taking the total death toll in the country to 11.
Prime Minister Modi on Tuesday, 24 March, announced a nationwide lockdown starting midnight on 25 March for 21 days to curb the spread of COVID-19.
However, fair price shops and those dealing with food, groceries, fruits, vegetables, dairy, meat, fish, animal fodder will remain open, it said.
The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) on Tuesday announced that the total number of positive cases in India has risen to 536. However, the Health Ministry has reported only 519 cases.
- Kerala and Maharashtra reported 107 and 105 positive cases respectively, the highest in the country
- The Supreme Court on Monday said that it will not hold hearings in person till further orders
- The Lok Sabha was adjourned sine die due to coronavirus, two weeks ahead of schedule
- With 139 deaths in one day, the number of fatalities in the United States crossed 550 on Monday night
- The total number of coronavirus cases across the globe stands at at least 3,72,000, with over 16,000 deaths, according to WHO
COVID-19 Positive Patient Passes Away in Tamil Nadu's Madurai
A COVID-19 positive patient who was admitted at Rajaji Hospital in Tamil Nadu's Madurai, has passed away, ANI reported.
The patient had a medical history of prolonged illness with steroid-dependent COPD, uncontrolled diabetes with hypertension.Dr C Vijayabaskar, State Minister for Health and Family Welfare
All Poor Families in Chhattisgarh to Get Free Rice Public Distribution System
Chhattisgarh CM Bhupesh Baghel has decided that all poor families in the state will be provided free rice under Public Distribution System for the months of April and May, ANI reported.
India Bans Export of Hydroxychloroquine With Immediate Effect
India has banned the export of Hydroxychloroquine, the drug recommended for the treatment of COVID-19, with immediate effect, ANI reported.
However, exports from SEZs/EOU, shipments where Irrevocable Letter of Credit has been issued and on humanitarian grounds on case-to-case basis as recommended by External Affairs Ministry will be allowed, ANI reported quoting the government.
France Death Toll Jumps 240 to 1100
France death toll jumps 240 to 1100, reports AFP news agency quoting official.