Fire Breaks at Vizag Hospital’s Incubator, Nurses Rescue Newborns

Two fire engines with 10 firemen were sent to the hospital and the fire was doused within half an hour.

1 min read
Hindi Female

A fire broke out on Friday evening in the first floor of Government Victoria General Hospital in Visakhapatnam, reportedly due to a short-circuit in the incubator room.

However, no casualties have been reported, as nearly 10 newborn babies in the room were rescued by the hospital staff.

The incident took place at around 4:15pm in the evening, after a short circuit happened in the air conditioner. Soon, thick smoke reportedly spread to the entire floor. A nurse reportedly noticed the fire in the room and alerted others. The staff immediately shifted the babies and their mothers out of the ward.

Two fire engines with 10 firemen were sent to the hospital and the fire was doused within half an hour.


Superintendent of the hospital, Dr K Padmaleela told The Hindu,

Timely action by the nurses saved the day for us.

District Fire Officer also told The Hindu that the fire broke out from a faulty air-conditioning machine, where some air-conditioners and 10 incubators were also destroyed in the incident.

Officials also told The New Indian Express that the hospital did not have ‘No Objection Certificate’ (NOC) from the fire department.

"We have equipment worth Rs 30 lakh in the hospital and have to verify the extent of the damage," the superintendent told The Hans India.

This is the first time a fire took place in the hospital, and the fire officials will examine the reason, the authorities added.

(At The Quint, we are answerable only to our audience. Play an active role in shaping our journalism by becoming a member. Because the truth is worth it.)


Read Latest News and Breaking News at The Quint, browse for more from news and india

Topics:  Vishakapatnam 

Speaking truth to power requires allies like you.
Become a Member
3 months
12 months
12 months
Check Member Benefits
Read More