Cong & AAP Support ‘Bharat Bandh’ Call; Farmers-Govt Meet on 9 Dec
Catch all the updates on the farmers’ protests here.
The Congress and the Aam Aadmi Party have decided to support the call for ‘Bharat Bandh’ on 8 December. Congress spokesperson Pawan Khera said on Sunday, 6 December, that they will be demonstrating at their party offices. A call for the ‘Bharat Bandh’ had been given by farm leaders against the three contentious laws.
Meanwhile, as the deadlock over the laws continues, protesting farmers and the Centre are scheduled to meet for the sixth round of talks on 9 December. Talks were also held on Saturday, but were inconclusive.
After Saturday’s meeting, Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar said the government has assured the farmers that procurement at minimum support price (MSP) will continue, and mandis will be strengthened.
- BJP MP and actor Sunny Deol said that he stands with farmers and his party and that the BJP-led government has the best interests of farmers in mind
- Leaders of Samyukt Kisan Morcha on Sunday, 6 December, said that the ‘Bharat Bandh’ scheduled on Tuesday would be complete and traffic will not be allowed till 3 pm, The Hindu reported
- NCP’s Maharashtra Office said that party chief Sharad Pawar will meet President Ram Nath Kovind on Wednesday over farmers’ protests
- Junior Union Minister for Agriculture Kailash Choudhary on Sunday said the Opposition is trying to instigate the farmers
- Urging the farmer unions to send the elderly, women and children back, Tomar on Friday said, “I want to assure farmers that Modi government remains committed to farmers’ interests and will remain so”
(The Quint is available on Telegram. For handpicked stories every day, subscribe to us on Telegram)
'Stand With BJP and Farmers': MP Sunny Deol on Farmers' Protests
BJP MP and Bollywood actor Sunny Deol said that he stands with the farmers and his party and that the BJP-led government has the best interests of farmers in mind.
On Sunday, 6 December, he tweeted a statement wherein he distanced himself from activist Deep Siddhu and said that the remarks made by him are his own and that the BJP MP shouldn’t be linked to him. Siddhu had campaigned for Sunny Deol in the 2019 elections.
'No Traffic Allowed Till 3 pm, No Supply of Vegetables and Milk': Samyukt Kisan Morcha on 'Bharat Bandh'
Samyukt Kisan Morcha held a press conference on Sunday, 6 December, wherein the leaders said that the ‘Bharat Bandh’ scheduled on Tuesday would be complete and traffic will not be allowed till 3 pm, The Hindu reported.
The leaders further added that there will be no supply of vegetables and milk either. “However, emergency services and wedding procession would be allowed,” The Hindu mentioned.
The leaders also reportedly said that several political parties, transport unions among others had extended their support to the call for a nationwide strike in the wake of ongoing farmers’ protests.
Agricultural Minister Narendra Tomar to Meet Two Ministers of State
Union Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar will hold a meeting with his two ministers of state Kailash Choudhary and Parshottam Rupala on Sunday, 6 December, ANI reported.
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.