Even as India clocks highest single-day spikes every day, state governments are slowly easing lockdown restrictions. People are starting to step out more often – be it for grocery shopping or to visit friends and family.
However, it is important to note that the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare does not recommend people stepping out for purposes other than those considered “essential.”
Based on guidelines issued by the Centers for Disease Control in the United States and the World Health Organisation (WHO), here’s an indicative list of activities that are ranked on the basis of risk factor.
Which activities are considered low-risk and what precautions must be taken?
- Always wear a mask when you step out of the house
- Wear a mask while going walking but avoid wearing if you are walking/jogging as it may affect your breathing
- Maintain social distancing in shops/while walking
- Discard the packaging of your take-away/online order as soon as you receive it
- Wash your hands for at least 20 seconds and use alcohol-based sanitizer on returning
What precautions should be taken while undertaking ‘moderate risk’ activities?
- Avoid entering shops during peak-time
- Maintain at least 6 feet distance from each other in offices
- Avoid shaking hands, hugging your colleagues
- Avoid large physical meetings
- Wash your hands for 20 seconds at least 2-3 times while at work
- Ask your employers to ensure staggered lunch breaks
- Keep the number of people visiting the other person's house to the lowest possible number
- Avoid hugging or kissing them
- If you are travelling by public transport, remember to carry a sanitizer
- Try to meet the person outdoors, if possible
Which activities are considered “moderately high risk”?
- Passengers who are flying will have to wear masks from the moment they leave home/exit taxi
- They will travel only in authorised taxis
- They will first be screened by thermal scanners and their temperature will be noted
- Before boarding, passengers will be provided a safety kit with three-layered medical mask and sanitizer
Which activities pose ‘high risk’?
Visiting any religious place poses as ‘high risk’ if social distancing and the number of people violate norms. Attending weddings and funerals, where the guest limit is flouted, also poses a huge risk.