Tech Tip: Should You Buy Playstation Games Online or from a Store?
Gamers, although self-reliant, could need some advise on buying games for themselves. One major dilemma gamers face is whether to make a digital purchase by downloading from the PlayStation store or buy the physical CDs of games.
Should a gamer download a game from the site or buy a game CD offline? Although there is no right or wrong answer to the query we thought we should simplify it for you.
- Space – If you are a gamer, you know the pain of running out of physical space on your shelf. Buying digital games saves that space. You can have a big library of games without anyone even seeing them. If you run out of space, you can hook up a hard drive and store as many games as you can.
- Play Before Physical – Downloading games from PlayStation Network also lets you play the game on the day of release itself. In fact, sometimes you can pre-install the game and the moment it goes live, you can start playing your new game, staying a step ahead of those who buy physical games from stores.
- Save Money – If you download your games on PlayStation Network, you can get yourself some deals and discounts. Also, most games are slightly cheaper on the PlayStation store than in their physical version. If you want to save money, digital is your thing.
Now, although digital games do have their benefits, many still prefer the physical disc.
- Resale - Apart from making a good-looking library, physical games also give you an option to be able to resell your games. If you are the sort of person that never plays a game after you have finished it, you can go for a physical disc as it will give you an option to resell the game. It also allows you to share the game with your friends and family.
- Game Library - Physical games have an appeal themselves. To be able to see your games neatly stacked in a shelf is one satisfaction digital games can’t provide.
All in all, buying a CD or downloading your game is completely a matter of preference. Still, most people buy CDs for their games. However, we thought that it might be of use to help you figure out what is important for your game library.
Ultimately, the choice between digital and physical formats is a matter of preference. You have to figure out what is most important to you and your games collection.
(The Quint is now on WhatsApp. To receive handpicked stories on topics you care about, subscribe to our WhatsApp services. Just go to TheQuint.com/WhatsApp and hit the Subscribe button.)