Saipov Remorseless on Manhattan Attack, Trump Wants Death Penalty
New York Police Department have reported that the alleged terror suspect had planned the attack weeks ago.
A driver in a rented pickup truck mowed down pedestrians and cyclists on a bike path alongside the Hudson River in New York City on Tuesday, killing eight people and injuring about a dozen others in what authorities said was an act of terrorism.
It was the greatest loss of life caused by a suspected terrorist attack in New York since suicide hijackers crashed jetliners into the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center in lower Manhattan on 11 September 2001, killing more than 2,600 people.
- Suspected attacker planned terror attack weeks ahead, says NYPDUS President Donald Trump is calling for “merit based immigration” following the deadly truck attack in Manhattan
- 8 killed, several injured after truck drove down a bike path in Lower Manhattan
- One Belgian, five Argentinian tourists among the dead
- Saipov said “stated that he felt good about what he had done”
Trump Wants Saipov Hanged
US President Donald Trump tweeted saying that Manhattan suspect Sayfullo Saipov should be given death penalty as he showed no sign of remorse.
Argentina Mourns for its Dead
Argentina on Wednesday mourned the loss of five high-school buddies from the city of Rosario who were killed when a driver of a pickup truck plowed through a bike path in New York where they were celebrating the 30th anniversary of their graduation.
"They went to celebrate life, and found death," Jorge Cetta, a spokesman for the victims' polytechnic high school, said in an interview.
In Buenos Aires, Argentine President Mauricio Macri praised the five architects and businessmen as model citizens.
"We must all stand together in the fight against terrorism," he said. The president, who has a previously scheduled trip to New York next week, spoke on Wednesday with US President Donald Trump, who expressed his condolences, Macri's office said.
Saipov Appears in Court Handcuffed Wheelchair Bound
Sayfullo Saipov, accused of killing eight people and injuring 12 in Manhattan entered court in a wheelchair, handcuffed and with feet shackled, to face terrorism charges before Magistrate Judge Barbara Moses.
Saipov who was hospitalized after he was shot by a police officer and arrested, confessed to authorities that he made a trial run with a rental truck on 22 October to practice turning the vehicle and "stated that he felt good about what he had done" after the attack, the complaint said.
In the course of that interview, the complaint said, Saipov told investigators he chose Halloween for the attack because he believed more people would be on the streets and said he had originally planned to strike the Brooklyn Bridge as well as the bike path on the western edge of lower Manhattan.
A Russian interpreter translated for Saipov. He did not ask for bail and was remanded to federal custody. It was not immediately clear where he would be held.
The 10-page charging document said Saipov waived his rights to remain silent and avoid self-incrimination in agreeing to speak to investigators without an attorney present from his bed at Bellevue Hospital Center in Manhattan.
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.