The Durga Puja Feast with Addy and Andy
Your Durga Puja celebrations is incomplete without these Bengali dishes.
Camerapersons: Abhishek Ranjan, Shiv Kumar Maurya
Production Assistant: Aarib
Multimedia Producer and Video Editor: Kunal Mehra
Bengalis are known for their obsession of non-vegetarian food and this obsession hits its peak during Durga Puja. Unlike other parts of the country the Bengalis don’t essentially eat vegetarian food during the navratris, the nine days when Goddess Durga is worshipped. So this Durga Puja two food enthusiasts come together, Aditya Kaushal- a radio jockey and Ayandrali Dutta - Home Culiniare and Travel Enthusiast. They usher in the festival with two quintessentially Bengali dishes – Doi Mangsho (Mutton cooked in curd) and Bhetki Fry.
- Kochi Patha (Tender Mutton)
- Chilli Powder
- Garam Masala
- Mustard Oil
- In a mixer-grinder add some water and make a paste of Onion, Chillies, Ginger, Garlic, Cinnamon & Cloves.
- To the chopped mutton pieces add some curd, salt, chilli powder and freshly grounded garam masala. Mix them well.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of mustard oil in a pan
- Add ginger-garlic paste.
- Once the ginger-garlic paste turns golden brown add the mutton.
- Cook till the mutton it releases its water.
- Pressure cook the mutton in its own juices for 15 minutes (approx.) or till 2 whistles.
- Bhetki Fish
- Bread Crumbs
- Mustard Oil
- Marinate the Bhetki fillets with the coriander-ginger-garlic paste and some lemon juice.
- Beat two eggs nicely.
- Dip the marinated Bhetki fillets in the beaten eggs.
- Dab the egg dipped Bhetki fillets in bread crumbs so that the bread crumbs form an even layer over the fillets.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of mustard oil in a pan.
- Add the Bhetki fillets to the oil.
- Cook till the fine layer of bread crumbs turn golden brown and crispy.
A typical Bengali sweet pulav goes best with the Doi Mangsho and Bhetki Fry. So this Durga Puja when you go pandal hopping keep an eye out for an amazing Bengali non-vegetarian feast.
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.