As Anant Chaturdashi approaches, Ganpati festival has almost come to a close. Ganpati visarjan has already kicked-off and people are really excited. It is a custom to prepare sweets at home during this auspicious time. As per the popular belief, Lord Ganesha loves modak and that’s why most devotees offer modak to Ganesha as bhog.
However, some might find making modak a difficult task, or simply do not know how the mouth-watering delicacy is prepared. Don’t worry, here we have the modak recipe to make your life easier. You will be able to prepare modak at home and will not have to settle for the store-bought and sometimes adulterated sweets.
You will require the following items to prepare modak at home:
- Ghee (clarified butter)
- Cardamom powder
- Nutmeg powder
- Poppy seeds
- Flour made from Basmati rice
- First, pour some oil in a heated pan. Add jaggery and keep stirring it till it melts. Add grated coconut, cardamom powder, nutmeg powder, and poppy seeds to the mix, in the gap of a few seconds. Now cook the mixture till it turns a little golden. Take it out in a pan.
- Now, boil water in a separate pan. Add a pinch of salt in it and add the Basmati rice flour to it. Cook it for 2-3 minutes.
- Take it off the flame and let it cool. Now, knead the dough until it softens and divide it in several small flat portions.
- Now, grease your palms with oil and fill these with some coconut-jaggery mixture and join the ends in the shape of a modak.
- Finally, put some oil in the steamer and put your modak in it. Let them cook for about 10-12 minutes. Your Ganpati special modaks are ready!
With some effort and some easily available ingredients, you can prepare modak at home and make your Ganesh festival even more special. You can also try different flavours, food colours, and feel proud while serving them to your family and guests.