People across Delhi still burn rubbish and leaves, and we have nowhere to report this offence. If a centralised mobile/landline number or and email ID could be mandated/dedicated for this, it will become easier for us to report.
Further, pollution control teams to fine such people should be put in place. The available apps like HAWA BADLO and SWATCH DELHI do not work.
Here is a 10 point formula to reduce pollution massively:
1. Enforce very stringent ban on:
(A) Burning of leaves or rubbish
(B) Burning of wood for heating and cooking
(C) Burning of Fire Crackers
2. Ban burning of stubble all over the country, make alternative arrangements for disposal of stubble.
3. Stringent check on emissions from all polluting industries, as well as shutdown of all illegal industries.
4. Improve public transport (increase number of buses and trains).
5. Implement stricter emission laws for automobiles.
6. All construction sites to sprinkle water for dust control. Make it a law.
7. Cleaning of roads using vacuum cleaners.
8. Planting of more trees.
9. Implement very strict pollution laws.
10. Educate people; make pollution control a mandatory subject in schools and universities.
Pollution control is not rocket science, it requires – innovation, public awareness, community participation, and strong political will. Nothing is impossible.
(This article was sent to Fit by Bipin Bahri as we attempt to find solutions for pollution.)
(Breathe In, Breathe Out: Are you finding it tough to breathe polluted air? Join hands with FIT to find #PollutionKaSolution. Send in your suggestions to email@example.com or WhatsApp @ +919999008335)
(At The Quint, we are answerable only to our audience. Play an active role in shaping our journalism by becoming a member. Because the truth is worth it.)