ADVERTISEMENTREMOVE AD

‘My BP Dropped to 40’: Tahira Kashyap on Suffering Bottle Gourd Toxicity

Published
Chew On This
2 min read
story-hero-img
i
Aa
Aa
Small
Aa
Medium
Aa
Large
Hindi Female

In a recent Instagram reel, Tahira Kashyap shared that she spent two days in an ICU after suffering from bottle gourd toxicity.

The writer and filmmaker said she took to her social media platform to spread awareness about the incident. She said it was drinking the juice of bottle gourd that had turned bitter that landed her in the ICU with a dangerously low blood pressure and bouts of vomiting.

ADVERTISEMENTREMOVE AD

In the video, Tahira Kashyap explained that she drinks a concoction of Lauki juice mixed with turmeric and alma (gooseberries) every morning, and though that day the juice tasted bitter, she went ahead and drank it thinking it might be because of higher levels of vitamin C. "That was stupid of me. Don't commit the same mistake I did," she added.

She went on to talk about how her condition rapidly deteriorated after drinking the concoction.

"Immidiately my body reacted. I had about 17 bouts of vomit, and my blood pressure dropped to 40."
Tahira Kashyap

Tahira Kashyap reassured her fans that she was fine now, and that she was back at work, but wanted to make people aware of this condition, requesting them to be more mindful of what they consume.

"In the name of health just don’t keep popping juices!," she wrote in the Instagram post.

What is Bottle Gourd Toxicity?

Bottle gourd, better known as lauki, ghia, dhudhi is a near stapple in indian household and is considered to be packed with health benefits. It is generally recommended to people with conditions like diabetes, hypertension, weightloss and general health.

But even an elixir of good health can turn toxic sometimes.

Although it is rare, bottle gourd poisoning can be extremely dangerous.

According to several studies, one should be wary of bitter bottle gourd as it can cause "rapid onset diarrhea, vomiting, gastrointestinal bleeding, and hypotension", which can also turn fatal.

This is caused by cucurbitacin, a chemical released in bottle gourd when they turn bitter.

Like Tahira Kashyap mentioned, after drinking the juice of bottle bottle gourd, the toxin takes affect within minutes.

"The doctor said its almost like having cinide," she said in the video.

(At The Quint, we are answerable only to our audience. Play an active role in shaping our journalism by becoming a member. Because the truth is worth it.)

0

Read Latest News and Breaking News at The Quint, browse for more from fit and chew-on-this

Topics:  Tahira Kashyap 

Speaking truth to power requires allies like you.
Become a Member
3 months
12 months
12 months
Check Member Benefits
Read More
×
×