ADVERTISEMENT

Whatsapp Chats, Drug Racket: Details of Charges Against SRK's Son Aryan, Others

Aryan Khan’s advocate has said he would file an application seeking bail for Aryan Khan today (Monday, 4 October).

Updated
Celebrities
3 min read

Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan's son Aryan Khan is embroiled in a drug case after the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) conducted a raid at a party on a cruise ship off the Mumbai coast.

After being arrested on Sunday, 3 October, following the raids conducted on Saturday night, 2 October, Aryan Khan, along with Arbaaz Merchant and Munmun Dhamecha were sent to the NCB custody till Monday, 4 October.

Arguing that his client was invited to the event being held on the cruise by the organisers, Aryan Khan’s advocate Satish Maneshinde has said he would file an application seeking bail for Aryan Khan on Monday.

“Although the sections under which he (Aryan) has been booked are all bailable offences. I am willing to settle for a one-day NCB custody so that we can file for bail before the regular court."

Here are the details of the charges against them and what all the NCB has stated about the investigation:

ADVERTISEMENT

The Charges Against Aryan Khan

Aryan Khan, Arbaaz Merchant, and Munmun Dhamecha were arrested by the Narcotics Control Bureau under Sections 8(c), 20(b), 27, and 35 of NDPS Act.

According to the arrest memo accessed by The Quint, Aryan Khan has been accused of "involvement of consumption, sell and purchase of contraband punishable under NDPS Act, 1985, with other known and unknown persons for contravention..."

The NCB, in the arrest memo also stated that it has seized 13 gram cocaine, 5 gram MD, 21 gram charas, 22 pills of MDMA (ecstasy), and Rs 1.33 lakh in cash.

This involves commercial quantity, with imprisonment of at least ten years. However, it may extend to twenty years and shall also be liable to a fine of one lakh rupees, but which may extend to two lakh rupees, provided that the court may, for reasons to be recorded in the judgment, impose a fine exceeding two lakh rupees.

'Incriminating Whatsapp Chats': What the NCB Said in the Court

During the court hearing, the NCB stated that WhatsApp chats have been recovered from the accused, which are currently under investigation. The agency added that banned substances have also been recovered, and they are trying to establish the source of the drugs.

"Investigation into the WhatsApp chats have revealed that the contraband substances are linked to a drug racket. The chats recovered from the mobile point to conversations with drug peddlers. Even as the offences are bailable, there have been cases where custody is granted. Therefore we are asking for minimum of two days police custody till Tuesday, 5 October," the NCB had told the court.

The NCB further said that five more people connected to the case will be arrested soon. The agency stated that it has sufficient evidence to prove that the accused are connected to each other.

Satish Maneshinde, representing Aryan Khan, told the court that Aryan was a special invitee at the event.

"He didn't have a ticket, nor did he book a cabin. He just boarded the cruise to give his friends company. The NCB recovered various chats and arrested him. Apart from that, nothing else was found on Aryan," Maneshinde argued. He requested the court to grant NCB one day's custody. Maneshinde also said he is filing a bail application for Aryan.

The court then granted the NCB custody till 4 October.

ADVERTISEMENT

'If Connections to Bollywood Emerge, So Be it': NCB Chief

Speaking about the raid, NCB chief SN Pradhan had earlier told ANI: "It’s a result of a painstaking investigation that went on for two weeks. We acted on specific intelligence inputs and involvement of some Bollywood links has come to light."

The NCB chief also told the publication that the agency is acting on an 'impartial manner'.

"During investigation, if some connections to Bollywood or rich people emerge, so be it. We have to act within the purview of the law," Pradhan told ANI.

Pradhan further said that there have been more than 300 raids in Mumbai in the past one year.

"We have to keep on working in Mumbai. If you look at the data, there must have been more than 300 raids in the last one year. This will continue, whether foreign nationals, the film industry or rich people are involved," SN Pradhan stated, adding, "We took action when inputs suggested that drugs like charas and MDMA were carried for consumption at the party."

Video Producer: Naman Shah

Video Editor: Vivek Gupta

(At The Quint, we are answerable only to our audience. Play an active role in shaping our journalism by becoming a member. Because the truth is worth it.)

Published: 
ADVERTISEMENT
Stay Updated

Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.

Join over 120,000 subscribers!
ADVERTISEMENT