UP Elections: BJP Reigns Supreme With 62 Seats, Rahul Gandhi Loses
Polling for 80 seats in UP was held in all 7 phases with around 58% of the voters exercising their franchise.
The BJP reigned supreme in the politically crucial state of Uttar Pradesh, bagging 62 Lok Sabha seats out of 80, while the Mahagathbandhan managed a paltry 15 seats.
With just five seats, Akhilesh Yadav’s Samajwadi Party repeated its 2014 performance, while Mayawati’s BSP managed to bag 10.
The only seat that went to the Congress was Raebareli (Sonia Gandhi), as party president Rahul Gandhi also lost out to Smriti Irani in Amethi.
At the national stage, PM Modi only improved upon his performance from 2014, crossing the 300-seat mark, while the Congress’ tally stood at 52.
- Narendra Modi and Sonia Gandhi won from Varanasi and Raebareli respectively
- Smriti Irani defeated Cong President Rahul Gandhi in Amethi by about 55,000 votes
- Akhilesh Yadav won the Azamgarh seat by a margin of 2,59,874 votes
Uttar Pradesh Election Results: All Arrangements in Place for Counting in UP, Says CEO
With Opposition parties expressing doubts over the security of EVMs, the Election Commission officials on Wednesday said that all arrangements have been made for smooth counting of votes for the 80 Lok Sabha seats in Uttar Pradesh.
Security personnel have been deployed in large numbers across the state for the counting process, with entry of authorised people inside the counting centres being allowed only on valid passes, said election officials.
Extra precaution is being taken in about a dozen sensitive districts and prohibitory orders have been imposed, sources cited by PTI said, adding that the EC has already banned victory processions and warned that no laxity in compliance of orders would be tolerated.
A three-tier security system has been put in place at the counting centres all over the state with deployment of sufficient number of personnel from paramilitary forces and state police to ensure smooth conduct of counting and strict compliance of law and order.
Uttar Pradesh Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) L Venkateshwarlu said all arrangements for smooth counting have been completed with proper training to the officials and staff on counting duty.
"Orders have also been issued to them to strictly follow the directives for the counting process," the CEO said.
Though trends will be available at regular intervals during the counting, results will be declared only after approval from the Election Commission, he said.
"The announcement of results this time could take a little longer with five booths in each assembly segment of the Lok Sabha constituency to be cross-examined with VVPAT slips," he said.
UP Elections 2019: Gorakhpur Candidate Ravi Kishan Offers Prayers
Actor Ravi Kishan, who is fighting from the Gorakhpur Lok Sabha seat on a BJP ticket, offered prayers ahead of the counting of votes for the Lok Sabha elections 2019 on Thursday.
Uttar Pradesh Election Results 2019: Key Contests to Watch Out For
The state of Uttar Pradesh is witnessing some high-profile contests, with the likes of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Congress President Rahul Gandhi in the fray. Here are the key contests you need to look out for:
- Varanasi: Narendra Modi (BJP) vs Ajay Rai (Congress) vs Shalini Yadav (SP)
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi (Congress) vs Smriti Irani (BJP)
- Raebareli: Sonia Gandhi (Congress) vs Dinesh Pratap Singh (BJP)
- Lucknow: Rajnath Singh (BJP) vs Poonam Sinha (SP) vs Acharya Pramod Krishnam (Congress)
- Azamgarh: Akhilesh Yadav (SP) vs Dinesh Lal Yadav Nirahua (BJP)
- Mainpuri: Mulayam Singh Yadav (SP) vs Prem Singh Shakya (BJP)
- Rampur: Jaya Prada (BJP) vs Azam Khan (SP) vs Sanjay Kapoor (Congress)
- Ghaziabad: VK Singh (BJP) vs Dolly Sharma (Congress) vs Suresh Bansal (SP)
- Kannauj: Dimple Yadav (SP) vs Subrat Pathak (BJP)
- Gorakhpur: Ravi Kishan (BJP) vs Rambhual Nishad (SP) vs Madhusudan Tripathi (Congress)
- Mathura: Hema Malini (BJP) vs Kunwar Narendra Singh (RLD) vs Mahesh Pathak (Congress)
- Gautam Buddh Nagar: Mahesh Sharma (BJP) vs Satveer (BSP) vs Arvind Kumar Singh (Congress)
- Pilibhit: Varun Gandhi (BJP) vs Hemraj Verma (SP)
- Sultanpur: Maneka Gandhi (BJP) vs Chandra Bhadra Singh (BSP) vs Sanjay Sinh (Congress)
- Muzaffarnagar: Ajit Singh (RLD) vs Sanjeev Kumar Balyan (BJP)
- Baghpat: Satyapal Singh (BJP) vs Jayant Chaudhary (RLD)
UP Elections 2019: Counting of Votes Begins
Counting of votes has begun for the 80 Lok Sabha seats in Uttar Pradesh. The state is witnessing a three-cornered contest this time between the BJP, the mahagathbandhan (alliance of Samajwadi Party, Bahujan Samaj Party and the Rashtriya Lok Dal), and the Congress.
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.
2:20 AM, 23 MayUttar Pradesh Election Results 2019: Key Contests to Watch Out For
3:17 AM, 23 MayRahul Gandhi Trailing in Amethi As Per Early Trends: Report
3:31 AM, 23 MayUP Election Results: Trends at 9 am
3:58 AM, 23 MayUP Election Results 2019: Sonia Gandhi Leading in Raebareli
4:13 AM, 23 MayUP Election Results 2019: Jaya Prada Leading by 2,429 Votes in Rampur
5:10 AM, 23 MayUP Elections Results 2019: Trends at 10:40 am
5:29 AM, 23 MayUP Elections: Rajnath Singh Leading in Lucknow By Over 50,000 Votes
5:49 AM, 23 MayUP Election Results: Smriti Irani Leading in Amethi By Over 4,000 Votes
7:57 AM, 23 MayUP Election Results 2019: Trends at 1:30 pm
8:36 AM, 23 MaySmriti Irani Widens Lead Over Rahul Gandhi to 9,000 Votes
8:56 AM, 23 MaySmriti Ahead by 11,226 Votes in Amethi at 2:15 pm