Elon Musk-owned Tesla can’t seem to keep unwelcome headlines at bay. In what is bound to cause a fresh wave of headaches for the company, a Tesla Model S was caught on camera catching fire at California’s Santa Monica Boulevard on 17 June. The car, owned by British TV director Michael Morris, burst into flame on the street. The incident was caught on camera by his wife, American actress Mary McCormack.
No one was injured in this incident.
Local authorities told news agencies that a faulty battery could be the reason behind the incident. Tesla haven’t confirmed anything yet and have said that they will be investigating the matter.
In a statement, Tesla said: “Our initial investigation shows that the cabin of the vehicle was totally unaffected by the fire due to our battery architecture, which is designed to protect the cabin in the very rare event that a battery fire occurs”.
There have been previous incidents involving Telsa cars catching fire, only that these incidents involved collisions.
The company has reiterated that it takes measures to protect passengers from any incidents like fires and have often stressed that Tesla cars are 10 times less likely to catch a fire than a gas-powered car.