The firsts begin even before we get on to the product – the Ignis will be the first car from Maruti Suzuki that you'll be able to book online. Here's all you need to know about the upcoming Ignis, termed as the premium urban compact vehicle by Maruti Suzuki.
New lightweight platform
The Ignis is going to be the first product based on a completely new platform that is lighter yet more rigid compared to the Swift's platform on which the Dzire and Ertiga are also manufactured.
Besides keeping the vehicle weight under check to aid fuel efficiency, this new platform will also perform better in crash tests, informs Maruti Suzuki. The platform is also flexible and will be able to accommodate more body styles and could be used extensively in future products from Maruti Suzuki.
Full LED headlamps
Maruti Suzuki is ticking a big feature on the Ignis' equipment list – full LED powered projector headlamps. The projectors on the Ignis will perform both high and low-beam duties and the source of light will be an LED setup.
Notably, no other vehicle in this segment or even two segments above boasts of an LED headlamps. The Ignis will also sport LED DRLs besides the main lamp and fog lamps, at least in the top variant.
Standard 15-inch wheels
Maruti Suzuki will be offering only one wheel size in the Ignis unlike on most its products on which the more loaded variants get bigger size alloy wheels. The Ignis will also sport a new design of alloy wheels never seen on any Maruti Suzuki product before. Tyre specs for the previewed model stood at 175/65 R15.
The Ignis will be powered by the same set of engines that power the Baleno. Both the petrol and diesel iterations of the Ignis will be available with 5-speed manual and AMT gearbox. The petrol engine will be a 1.2-litre VVT engine while the diesel will be the 1.3-litre DDiS engine.
Loaded with features
More features of the Maruti Suzuki Ignis:
- Keyless entry and push button start/stop, rear parking sensors, rear defogger, wiper and washer.
- Carbon fibre-like inserts on AC vents, Anti-brake locking system (ABS) and dual front airbags, front disc brakes and rear drum brakes.
- Headlamp leveling, height adjustable driver seat.
- New steering wheel with controls for telephony and music system, climate control, multi-information display with outside temperature, time, trip meters, low fuel warning, fuel efficiency, fuel level, instant fuel economy
- A 7-inch touchscreen entertainment system with MirrorLink, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and navigation.
(CarDekho is one of the leading automobile portals in India, part of GirnarSoft. The site offers in-depth analysis, comparisons and reviews of the latest car launches in the country.)