Punjab Results: Big Win for Congress, AAP Relegated to Opposition
Live updates for Punjab Assembly elections 2017. Will debutant AAP emerge victorious?
Big Win for Congress In Punjab
The Congress was on Saturday won a two-third majority in the 117-seat Punjab assembly, with veteran Amarinder Singh set to return as Chief Minister of the border state.
The Congress, which had been out of power in Punjab for a decade, won 77 seats, paving the way for the next Congress government in Punjab.
- Congress stormed back to power with 77 of the 117 assembly seats
- AAP, which contesting its first Punjab assembly elections emerged as the largest opposition party with 20 seats
- The Prakash Singh Badal led SAD won 15 seats, down from its earlier tally of 56 seats
- Amarinder Singh lost the Lambi seat where he contested against CM Prakash Singh Badal but won from the Patiala assembly seat
- 70% turnout was recorded during single phase polling in Punjab on 4 February
Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi Thanks The People of Punjab
Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi thanked the poeple of Punjab for their support.
PM Modi Tweets About SAD-BJP Alliance in Punjab
Prime Minister Narendra Modi thanked the people of Punjab for letting the BJP-SAD combine serve them.
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.