Athlete Commits Suicide at JLN Stadium, SAI Orders Inquiry

Palinder Chaudhary, an 18-year-old athlete had won a gold at the Asian Youth Championship last year.

Olympic Sports
2 min read
Palinder Chaudhary committed suicide by hanging himself from a ceiling fan at the capital’s Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium.

(PTI had initially published the story with the name Parvinder Chaudhary, and later rectified it to Palinder Chaudhary. The story will now reflect the same.)

Palinder Chaudhary, an 18-year-old athlete who represented India at the international level, committed suicide by hanging himself from a ceiling fan at New Delhi's Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, prompting the Sports Authority of India to order a "departmental inquiry".

Hailing from Aligarh in Uttar Pradesh, the athlete was brain dead by the time he was rushed to the Safdarjung Hospital, and could not be revived.

"We have ordered a departmental inquiry as the incident happened in our premises. The inquiry will be headed by Secretary SAI Swarn Singh Chabra and it should be completed within a week," SAI Director General Neelam Kapur told PTI.

A senior police officer said no suicide note has been recovered and they probing the reason for such an extreme step.

"Chaudhary's father has arrived and inquest proceedings have been initiated," the officer said.

Apparently, he took the extreme step after an argument with his father over monetary issues, the top SAI official said.

His fellow trainees and staff at the stadium were shocked as the athlete showed no signs of depression while training through the day.

“Preliminary it seems a family matter related to monetary issues. What we came to know is that the boy had an argument with his father in the morning on phone after which his sister came to meet him in evening. He took the step in front of his sister after threatening her. She came out screaming and our staff immediately went there and brought him down.”
Neelam Kapur, SAI Director General

Palinder, who was residing in room No.69 of JLN Stadium hostel since November 2016 and was training for 100 and 200 metre races, came back to his room at 5.30 in the evening and committed suicide half an hour later.

"It is a very sad and tragic incident. We are extending all possible help to the family and have arranged for the transportation of his body to Aligarh. Our officers will also accompany his body to ensure smooth conduct of his last rites," said Kapur.

Sports Minister Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore, who is in Rajasthan, has been informed and he has expressed his grief on the incident.

In 2017, he was selected for the Asian Youth Championship in Bangkok and won gold medal in relay. He also participated at the World Youth Championship last July.

"He was alive when he was taken to Safdarjung but was brain dead and doctors couldn't revive him. After initial treatment, he was taken to hospital half an hour later. He was in emergency," another SAI official said.

He added, "His roommate and all the trainees and staff at JLN stadium were completely surprised by his act as the entire day he trained and showed no signs of depression.

"Nobody knows the reason why he took such a step. All top SAI officials are in Safdarjung just to ensure the postmortem is done at the earliest and body is handed over to his family at the earliest. It is now a police case and they will investigate into it."

Stay Updated

Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.

Join over 120,000 subscribers!