Musk had left the internet confused on Tuesday after announcing that he was going to buy the Red Devils.
“Also, I’m buying Manchester United ur welcome”, the 51-year-old business magnate had tweeted earlier on Tuesday. However, he put out a clarification post in a day's time, stating that it was just a joke on Twitter and he was not buying any sports team.
"No, this is a long-running joke on Twitter. I’m not buying any sports teams," Musk clarified.
His tweets had left the internet buzzing, especially the Manchester United fans at a time when the club has come under a lot of flak for its poor performances in recent times.
“1% chance. 99% faith” tweeted one user while another posted that it “would be beautiful”.
There has been a huge outcry amongst the Manchester United fans, who have called for an exit of the club owners – the American Glazer family. Meanwhile, neither the owners nor the club has issued a response to Musk’s tweet.
The Tesla CEO already has a history of making implausible tweets on the social media handle that has put him in hot waters. He is currently undergoing a legal battle with Twitter after a failed acquisition bid to buy the microblogging website.