Cristiano Ronaldo Won’t Face Charges in the 2009 Rape Case in US
Cristiano Ronaldo won't face criminal charges after a woman accused the football star of raping her in his suite at a Las Vegas resort more than 10 years ago, a top prosecutor said on Monday, 22 July.
The decision represented a victory on one of two legal tracks tied to the 2009 allegation against one of the most recognisable and highly paid players in sports.
In a lawsuit still pending in federal court, Mayorga alleges that she was pressured to sign an agreement to keep quiet in exchange for $375,000. Her lawyers want to void the deal and collect at least $200,000 more from Ronaldo.
Attorneys for Mayorga, a former model and schoolteacher, did not immediately respond to telephone, text and email messages.
Her attorneys say Mayorga never wanted her name released but became worried that she would be identified after a 2017 media report apparently referred to the encounter.
The Associated Press generally does not name people who say they are victims of sexual assault, but Mayorga gave consent through her lawyers to make her name public.
Her lawsuit says she met Ronaldo at a nightclub and went with him and other people to his suite at the Palms Hotel and Casino, where he assaulted her in a bedroom. Afterward, she signed a non-disclosure agreement under pressure from “fixers” trying to protect Ronaldo’s reputation, her lawyer, Leslie Mark Stovall, has said.
The lawsuit in US District Court in Las Vegas accuses Ronaldo or those working for him of conspiracy, defamation, breach of contract, coercion and fraud for allegedly allowing terms of the settlement to become public in European publications.
Ronaldo plays in Italy for the Turin-based football club Juventus. He played previously for Manchester United in England and Real Madrid in Spain, where he earned a then-record sum of 94 million euros, or about $130 million.
Mayorga underwent a medical exam to collect DNA evidence shortly after she alleges Ronaldo assaulted her.
Police have said she identified her attacker only as a European football player.
"As a result, the police were unable to ... conduct any meaningful investigation," Wolfson said Monday. "Detectives were unable to search for and impound vital forensic evidence. In addition, video evidence, showing interactions between the victim and perpetrator before and after the alleged crime, was lost."
Police did not immediately respond on Monday to messages about the case.
(The Quint is now available on Telegram. For handpicked stories every day, subscribe to us on Telegram)