In Stats: Rohit, Rahane & Umesh Yadav Enter Record Books on Day 2
Rohit Sharma struck his maiden double century in Test cricket while Ajinkya Rahane ended his three-year wait for a Test ton at home as India declared on 497/9 and reduced South Africa to 9/2 before bad light brought an early end to the second day's play in the third Test against South Africa in Ranchi on Sunday, 20 October.
South Africa skipper Faf du Plessis (1*) and Zubayr Hamza (0*) were at the crease in a rejigged batting order before bad light stopped play shortly after Tea, much like the first day.
Here’s a look at all the big numbers and records from Day 2 of the third Test between India and South Africa.
Rohit Sharma’s Maiden Double Ton in Tests
- Rohit Sharma (212) posted a career-best score in Tests, eclipsing his 177 on debut against West Indies at Kolkata’s Eden Gardens in November 2012.
- Rohit is only the fourth player after Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag and Chris Gayle to record a double century in Tests as well as in ODIs.
- Rohit is the third Indian opener after Sehwag (319 at Chennai in 2007-08) and Mayank Agarwal (215 at Visakhapatnam in 2019-20) to register an innings of 200-plus against South Africa in Tests.
- Rohit is the eighth opener to record double hundred against South Africa in Tests, joining England's Jack Hobbs & Marcus Trescothick, Australia's Herbie Collins, West Indies’ Gayle and Wavell Hinds, and India's Sehwag and Agarwal.
- For the first time, three double hundreds in successive Tests have been recorded in a three-Test series for India – Agarwal’s 215 at Visakhapatnam; Virat Kohli’s 254 not out at Pune and Rohit’s 212 at Ranchi.
- Rohit is the first Indian batsman to complete his double century with a six. With this, he became the first Indian batsman to complete his hundred and double hundred with a six in the same innings.
- Rohit (51) is the fifth Indian player to post 50 sixes or more in Tests, joining Sehwag (90), MS Dhoni (78), Tendulkar (69), Kapil Dev (61) and Sourav Ganguly (57).
- With 19 sixes, Rohit has set a Test record for most sixes in a series.
- Rohit is the leading run-getter for India in Tests this year – his tally being 529 runs at an average of 132.25, including three hundreds, in three Tests.
Rahane’s Exploits on Day 2
- Rahane and Rohit were involved in a stand of 267 – India's highest fourth-wicket partnership against South Africa in Tests. Overall, the said partnership is India's fifth-highest for this wicket.
- Rahane's 11th hundred (115) in Tests is his third against South Africa. In the 2015-16 Delhi Test against South Africa, he had scored a hundred in each innings of a Test match – 127 and 100 not out. For the first time in a three-Test series, Jadeja has totalled 200-plus, his tally being 212 in four innings at an average of 70.66 including two fifties.
Umesh Yadav’s Highest Test Score & a Series Full of Sixes
- Yadav's 31 off 10 balls is his highest Test score, bettering the 30 against Australia at Brisbane in December 2014.
- Yadav's strike rate of 310.00 is the highest by a batsman, facing 10 balls or more in a Test innings, obliterating the 281.81 by New Zealand's Stephen Fleming during his innings of 31 not out off 11 balls against South Africa at Auckland in 2004. Yadav, for the first time, has recorded five sixes in a Test innings. He is the first Indian batsman at number 9 or lower to register five sixes in an innings.
- The 47 sixes hit by Indian batsmen is a new record in a Test series, eclipsing the 40 in the five-Test series by Australia vs England in 2013-14.
- The 61 sixes by batsman of both the teams in the present series, is a new record in a three-Test series, eclipsing the 59 between Pakistan and New Zealand in 2014-15.
- South Africa's average opening partnership in this series is 4.80 – the least for them in a Test series when they have batted in five or more innings.
- Seven hundreds by India is a record in a Test series against South Africa, eclipsing the six in the two-Test series in 2009-10.
(Hi there! We will be continuing our news service on WhatsApp. Meanwhile, stay tuned to our Telegram channel here.)