Pink-Ball Test: Record Books Rewritten on Day 2 at Eden Gardens
Here’s a look at some of the records and number from the Day 2 of the landmark Pink-Ball Test at the Eden Gardens.
Virat Kohli conjured up a classic hundred in his first tryst with the pink ball while a lethal Ishant Sharma tormented Bangladesh batsmen yet again to push India towards victory in their maiden day-night Test in Kolkata on Saturday.
Kohli became the first Indian to score a hundred in a pink-ball Test, smashing a 194-ball 136. His deputy Ajinkya Rahane (51) also looked in good touch, striking his fourth successive half-century as India declared their first innings at 347 for nine for a massive 241-run lead.
Bangladesh, who were shot out for 106 in the first innings, were reduced to 13 for four at one stage but the visitors ended the second day at 152 for six, courtesy a combative half-century from Mushfique Rahim (59 batting) and Mahmudullah, who retired hurt after scoring 39.
Mushfiqur smashed 10 fours in his counter-attacking knock as the visitors still trail by 89 runs and need a miracle to save the match.
Here’s a look at some of the records and number from the Day 2 of the landmark Pink-Ball Test at the Eden Gardens:
- Virat Kohli's tally of 20 centuries in 86 innings as captain is bettered only by South Africa's Graeme Smith's 25 in 193 innings.
- Virat's splendid 136 is his 70th century in 438 innings in international cricket. Just two batsmen have registered more hundreds than him - Sachin Tendulkar – 100 in 782 innings and Ricky Ponting - 71 in 668 innings.
- Virat is the quickest to this landmark, eclipsing Sachin Tendulkar's feat of reaching 70 hundreds in 505 innings.
- Virat's average of 54.97 while aggregating 7202 in 141 innings is the highest among the Indian batsmen with atleast 20 innings in Tests.
- Virat is the first Indian captain and the fifth overall to post a century in day/night Tests. He has equalled the highest individual innings by a captain in day/night Tests. Joe Root had scored 136 for England vs West Indies at Birmingham in 2017.
- Ishant Sharma's tally of 31 ducks in 127 innings is the highest by an Indian batsman in Tests - the next being being Zaheer Khan's 29 in 127 innings.
- Ishant has recorded his best figures (9/61) in a Test match in India, eclipsing the 7 for 58 vs New Zealand at Nagpur in November 2010.
- In seven consecutive Test innings, India have declared their innings, establishing a record, eclipsing the six by England during 2009.
- Mushfiqur Rahim's second fifty against India is his 21st in Tests. His tally of 503 runs at an average of 55.88 in six Tests is the highest by a Bangladesh batsman against India in Tests.
- Ebadat Hossain (3/91) has recorded his best figures in Tests, surpassing the 1 for 107 vs New Zealand at Hamilton in February 2019.
- Al-Amin Hossain (3/85) has recorded his second-best bowling figures in Tests behind the 3 for 80 vs West Indies at Gros Islet in September 2014.
- Mominul Haque got a Pair in Kolkata Test - his first in Tests. He has registered eight ducks in Tests.
- Haque is averaging just 16.14 vs India in Tests - his worst performance against an opponent. His tally against India is 113 in seven innings.
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.