In Stats: Bangladesh in the Quest for First Test Win Against India
India will be playing Bangladesh in a two-match Test series that includes both the teams’ first-ever Day-Night game.
After a 2-1 win in the T20Is, India will be playing Bangladesh in a two-match Test series that includes both the teams’ first-ever Day-Night match.
The rubber will see the return of India captain Virat Kohli, who was rested for the three T20 Internationals.
The two Tests will be Bangladesh's opening games in the 2019–21 ICC World Test Championship, in which unbeaten India are table-toppers with 240 points from five games. While India are going into the series with the same squad that completed a whitewash against South Africa, the visitors will be missing star players Tamim Iqbal and Shakib Al Hasan.
Holkar Stadium, Venue for 1st Test
- India (557 for five wickets declared & 216 for three wickets declared) won by 321 runs against New Zealand (299 & 153) at Holkar Cricket Stadium, Indore in October 2016 – the only Test played at this venue.
- Virat Kohli, with his 211 in the Indore Test, had become the first Indian captain to post more than one double century in Tests – his first being 200 against West Indies at North Sound in July 2016. His tally of seven double hundreds as captain in Tests is not likely to be surpassed – the latest being 254 not out against South Africa in Pune in October.
- India's aforesaid triumph remains their biggest in terms of runs in Tests behind the 337-run win against South Africa at Feroz Shah Kotla, Delhi in December 2015.
- Virat Kohli and Ajinkya Rahane were involved in a stand of 365 for the fourth wicket – the fifth highest by an Indian pair for any wicket in Tests.
- The 672 balls faced by Kohli and Rahane in their aforesaid stand are the most by any Indian pair as well as the most by any pair against New Zealand in Tests.
- Ajinkya Rahane's 188 off 381 balls in the 2016-17 Indore Test remains his career-best in Tests.
- Ravichandran Ashwin's Test figures of 13 for 140 (6/81 + 7/59) in the Indore Test are his career-best in a Test match.
Rahane, Mushfiqur Approach Landmarks
- Rahane (3975 at an average of 43.20) in 61 Tests requires 25 runs to complete his 4000 runs in Tests.
- Mushfiqur Rahim (113 dismissals – 98 catches + 15 stumpings) is all set to become the first Bangladeshi wicketkeeper to complete 100 catches in Tests.
India vs Bangladesh Tests Head-to-Head & Trivia
- Nine Tests have been played between the two teams – eight in Bangladesh and just one in India. Seven have been won by India while the remaining two could not produce results.
- The last Test between the two teams was contested in India – at Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium, Hyderabad in February 2017. India (687 for six wickets declared & 159 for four wickets declared) beat Bangladesh (388 & 250) by 208 runs.
- India had become the first team to post 600-plus in three successive innings – 631 in Mumbai; 759 in Chennai – both against England and 687 against Bangladesh. India's total of 687 for six wickets declared is the highest in Tests between the two countries.
- Two double centuries have been recorded in Tests between the two teams – both by the Indians; 248 not out by Sachin Tendulkar at Dhaka in December 2004 and 204 by Virat Kohli at Hyderabad in February 2017.
- With a double hundred in four successive series – vs West Indies in 2016; vs New Zealand in 2016-17; vs England in 2016-17 and vs Bangladesh in 2016-17 – Virat Kohli had created history, bettering the three each by Don Bradman and Rahul Dravid.
- Sachin Tendulkar's tally of 820 runs (ave 136.66) in nine innings (7 Tests), including five hundreds, is the highest in Tests involving India and Bangladesh.
- Zaheer Khan's tally of 31 wickets at 24.25 runs apiece in seven Tests, is the most in India-Bangladesh Tests. His tally includes two five-wicket hauls and one instance of ten wickets in a Test match.
- Zaheer's career-best figures of 7 for 87 in Bangladesh's second innings in the 2009-10 Dhaka Test are the best in an innings by any bowler between the two teams.
- Irfan Pathan's match figures of 11 for 96 (5/45 + 6/51) in the 2004-05 Dhaka Test are the best by any bowler between the two teams.
- The 283-run first-wicket partnership between Murali Vijay and Shikhar Dhawan in the 2015 Fatullah Test is the highest for any wicket between the two teams.
- Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar and Zaheer Khan, with seven matches each, are the players with most matches between the two teams.
- Sourav Ganguly is the most successful captain in Tests between the two teams, winning all three Tests.
- Rahul Dravid, with 13 catches in seven Tests, is the leading fielder in Tests involving India and Bangladesh.
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni, with 15 dismissals (12 catches + 3 stumpings) in three Tests, is the most successful wicketkeeper in Tests between the two teams.
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.