Rohit, Chahal Eye Milestones; India Aim to Better Record in Nagpur
After registering an emphatic victory in Rajkot to level the three-match rubber, India will aim for another commanding performance when they take on Bangladesh in the series-deciding third T20I to be played at the Vidarbha Cricket Association (VCA) Stadium in Nagpur on Sunday.
Bangladesh started their campaign with a seven-wicket win over the young Indian brigade in New Delhi and set their sights on a historic series win. But the hosts turned the tables in Rajkot.
As far as India’s record at the ground is concerned, the hosts have had a mediocre history. Apart from this, skipper Rohit Sharma and in-form leggie Yuzvendra Chahal would be eyeing personal milestone in the series decider.
Here’s a look at some of the interesting numbers and trivia ahead of the India-Bangladesh 3rd T20I at the VCA Stadium in Jamtha in Nagpur:
- All three T20Is played by India at this venue have been won by the sides batting first. Sri Lanka beat India by 29 runs on 9 December 2009; New Zealand defeated India by 47 runs on 15 March 2016. India's only triumph at this venue by 5 runs came against England on 29 January 2017.
- Kumar Sangakkara's captain's innings of 78 off 37 balls - a career-best - vs India on 9 December is the highest individual innings at this venue. His 21-ball fifty remains the joint-quickest by a Sri Lankan batsman in T20Is.
- Lokesh Rahul's 71 off 47 balls vs England on 29 January 2017 is the best by an Indian batsman in T20Is at this venue.
- Mitchell Santner's outstanding career-best figures of 4 for 11 for New Zealand against India on 15 March 2016 are the best at this venue.
- Having posted 22 fifty-plus innings, Rohit, with another fifty in the third T20I, will set a record for most fifty-plus innings in T20Is. At present, both Rohit and Virat Kohli share the record.
- 340 boundaries (225 fours and 115 sixes) hit by Rohit Sharma is a new record in Twenty20 Internationals.
- Yuzvendra Chahal (49 wickets) requires just one wicket to complete his 50 wickets in T20Is.
- Rohit Sharma is the only batsman to hit 65 sixes or more three times in a calendar year in international cricket - 74 in 2018; 66 in 2019 and 65 in 2017. No other batsman has reached 65 sixes in a calendar year even once.
(Hi there! We will be continuing our news service on WhatsApp. Meanwhile, stay tuned to our Telegram channel here.)