Test Records Held by Dale Steyn as He Retires from the Format
South Africa's Dale Steyn retired from test cricket on Monday, ending the red-ball career of a player who was one of the world's fiercest fast bowlers and the best in the game at his height but whose latter years were curtailed by a serious shoulder injury.
Steyn said he chose to give up five-day cricket to prolong his career and he will continue to play limited-overs internationals.
"In my opinion test cricket is the best version of this game. It tests you mentally, physically, emotionally. It's terrible to consider never playing another test again but what's more terrifying is the thought of never playing again at all,” said Steyn in his official press release.
Here’s a look at some of the Test records held by one of the most lethal bowlers of recent times.
- Dale’s wicket-aggregate of 439 in 93 Tests remains the highest by a South African bowler and the eighth highest in Tests.
- Captured 261 wickets at 21.62 runs apiece in 52 Tests at home - a record by any bowler in Tests in South Africa.
- Produced 26 instances of five wickets or more in an innings - a South African record in Tests.
- His tally of five instances of ten wickets or more in a Test match is a South African record.
- Captured 74 wickets at 20.01 runs apiece, including five five-wicket hauls and one instance of ten wickets, in 13 Tests in 2008 - his best bowling performance in a calendar year. He was the leading wicket-taker in 2018.
- Claimed 21 wickets at 17.47 in three Tests against the visiting Indians in 2010-11 -his best performance in a Test series.
- Took 65 wickets at 21.53 runs in 14 Tests - a South African record against India in Tests.
- Bagged 68 wickets at 16.04 runs apiece in just twelve tests - a South African record against New Zealand in Tests.
- Took 70 wickets at 27.47 runs apiece in 15 Tests - a South African record against Australia in Tests.
- Bagged seven wickets conceding 51 runs against India at Nagpur in February 2010 - his career-best bowling performance in Tests.
- Produced strike rate of 42.3 in Tests - the best among the fifteen bowlers with 400 wickets or more in Tests.
- Recorded an average of 16.60 while claiming 305 wickets in 48 Tests - the best among the fast bowlers with 300 wickets or more in a winning cause. His tally included 22 instances of five-wicket hauls and five instances of ten wickets or more in a Test match.
- Raced to 400 wickets in 80 Tests - a joint-World record for taking least number of Tests by a fast bowler. New Zealand's Sir Richard Hadlee had also taken the same number of Tests for his 400 wickets.
(The Quint is now available on Telegram. For handpicked stories every day, subscribe to us on Telegram)