Wives of Work Visa Holders in the US, You Now Have Work Permit Too

The US has started accepting employment applications for H-4 visa holders, who are spouses of H-1B workers. 

1 min read
Audience cheers at Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Madison Square Garden address in New York. (Photo: Reuters)

The US authorities have started accepting employment authorization applications for H-4 visa holders, who are spouses of H-1B non immigrant workers and were not allowed to work so far in the country.

The US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) yesterday started accepting the applications for H-4 visas.

Issuing employment authorization card (EAD) to certain category of spouses of H-1B visas is one of the legislative measures taken by President Barack Obama to fix the immigration system of the country.

As a result, about 1,80,000 people would be eligible to work in the US.

According to the DHS, it will issue EAD within 90 days of receiving the application.

Under existing regulations, DHS does not extend employment authorisation to dependents (also known as H-4 nonimmigrants) of H-1B nonimmigrant workers.

The new rules allow H-4 dependent spouses of certain H-1B non immigrant workers to request employment authorisation, as long as the H-1B worker has already started the process of seeking lawful permanent residence through employment.

(At The Quint, we are answerable only to our audience. Play an active role in shaping our journalism by becoming a member. Because the truth is worth it.)

Stay Updated

Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.

Join over 120,000 subscribers!