As He Turns 70, Let’s Revisit: Who Is Donald Trump Anyway?
A profile of the businessman-turned-presidential hopeful.
At 70, Donald Trump has never been closer to achieving his long-time dream of running for US President. Despite a strong ‘Anyone-But-Trump’ movement, he has clinched the delegates needed for a Republican party nomination, and previously hesitant party veterans like Paul Ryan have now been obliged to back him.
Here’s a rundown of the man likely to be up against Hillary Clinton come November. Happy Birthday, Mr Trump.
Donald Trump was born on 14 June 1946. His estimated net worth is over $4.5 billion, according to Forbes. A real estate mogul, he took over his father’s company and built it up.
Trump also hosted the reality TV show The Apprentice and is best known for the catchphrase, “You’re fired!”. He has been nominated for the Emmy Award twice and has written 18 books.
He has repeatedly mentioned in the past that he may run for US President. Trump is now running for the Republican presidential nomination.
He has very controversial views and has often faced criticism:
- Immigration: “I will build a great wall”
- Minorities: Justified an attack on an African-American protester at his rally
- Women: “You know, it doesn’t really matter what [the media] write as long as you’ve got a young and beautiful piece of ass.”
- Abortion: Women who have abortions should face “some form of punishment”
- Torture: “I would bring back waterboarding”
Campaign slogan: ‘Make America Great Again’
John Oliver launched a counter-campaign against his presidential campaign called ‘Make Donald Drumpf Again’.
He’s been married 3 times and has 5 children.
Script: Taruni Kumar, Video Editor: Prashant Bhardwaj
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.