US President Barack Obama Briefed, Lawmakers React to Dhaka Attack
- At least five people were killed in a terrorist attack in Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Six-ten terrorists stormed the Holey Artisan Bakery in Dhaka on Friday night
- Two policeman, two foreign diplomats confirmed dead, 30 others injured
- Six terrorists reportedly killed in a gun battle with Bangladesh police
- Of 20 hostages, 18 rescued, reports Dhaka Tribune
- ISIS claims responsibility for the attack
US President Barack Obama has been briefed by counter-terrorism officials on an ISIS terror attack at an upmarket restaurant in Bangladesh where several foreigners have been taken hostage, a White House official said.
The State Department Spokesman John Kirby said that the US embassy in Dhaka is monitoring the situation.
Besides the US lawmakers, Italian Foreign Affairs Minister Paolo Gentiloni’s office also took cognisance of the situation.
(The Quint is now on WhatsApp. To receive handpicked stories on topics you care about, subscribe to our WhatsApp services. Just go to TheQuint.com/WhatsApp and hit the Subscribe button.)