China Disinvited from Major US Military Exercise: Pentagon
The United States has disinvited China from a major US-hosted naval drill this year as an "initial" response to what it sees as Beijing's militarization of islands in the South China Sea, the Pentagon said on Wednesday, 23 May.
The Pentagon said there was "strong evidence" that China had deployed anti-ship missiles, surface-to-air missile systems and electronic jammers to contested features in the Spratly Islands.
Over the weekend China's air force landed bombers on islands and reefs in the South China Sea as part of a training exercise in the disputed region.
The move comes on the same day China's top diplomat, Wang Yi, met with US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in Washington.
Earlier this month the United States said it had raised concerns with China about its latest militarization of the South China Sea and that there would be near-term and long-term consequences.
Pentagon officials have long complained that China has not been candid enough about its rapid military build-up, whereas Chinese officials have accused Washington of viewing their country in suspicious, “Cold War” terms.
"We have called on China to remove the military systems immediately and to reverse course on the militarization of disputed South China Sea features," Logan said.
(Make sure you don't miss fresh news updates from us. Click here to stay updated )