PM Modi Expresses Shock at Attack in Vienna That Killed Four

The Austrian Embassy in New Delhi will remain close till 11 November, as a “precautionary measure.”

Updated
World
3 min read

Video editor: Deepthi Ramdas

Four people have died, and 17 people were wounded in terror attack in Vienna, on Monday, 2 November, according to international media reports, hours before the country went into a nationwide COVID-19 lockdown.

The police killed one gunman, who was identified as a 20-year-old convicted jihadist, who had tried to travel to Syria to join the Islamic State, according to news agency Reuters, though it remains unclear how many gunmen were involved.

Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz is reported by The Guardian to have said that the victims were “an elderly man, an elderly woman, a young male passerby and a waitress.” A police officer was also shot in the attack, and is in a critical but stable condition.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi, on Tuesday morning, took to Twitter to express his deep shock at the attacks.

PM Modi Expresses Shock at Attack in Vienna That Killed Four
(Photo Courtesy: Screenshot/Twitter)

Further, according the ANI, the Austrian Embassy in New Delhi will remain closed till 11 November, as a “precautionary measure.” A statement read:

“As a precautionary measure, the Austrian Embassy New Delhi will remain closed to the public until 11 November 2020. We ask for your understanding.”

One of the perpetrators is believed to be among the two reported deaths. According to international media, it is not yet clear how many perpetrators were involved but a manhunt is underway.

New agency AP reported that the police have said that several shots were fired after 8 pm (1900 GMT) on a busy street in the city and centre, and that the shooting took place at six different locations.

AP further said that unverified social media footage shows gunmen walking through the streets, shooting at people at random.

The motive is still being probed.

More Details

Hours after the attacks took place, Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz, according to Reuters, said:

“The attack yesterday was clearly an Islamic terror attack. This is not a conflict between Christians and Muslims or between Austrians and migrants. No, this is a fight between the many people who believe in peace and the few (who oppose it). It is a fight between civilisation and barbarism.”

Kurz also said that even though the motive was under probe, the possibility that it was an anti-Semitic attack cannot be ruled out, as the shooting began outside Vienna’s main synagogue, which was closed at the time.

Urging people to stay indoors and avoid the city centre, and encouraging parents to not send their children to school on Tuesday, Interior Minister Karl Nehammer reportedly said that the army had been asked to guard key locations in the city. Meanwhile, hundreds of police personnel have been out in the hunt for the gunmen.

Various leaders from other countries such as Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and French President Emanuel Macron have shown solidarity with Vienna.

Indian Embassy Reaches Out to Indians in Austria

Indian Embassy in Austria took to Twitter to assure the Indian community in Vienna that their safety was being looked into and advised them to exercise caution, as “terrorists may still be at large.”

(This is a developing story.)

Published: 
Stay Updated

Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.

Join over 120,000 subscribers!