Rescue Efforts are Underway: PIA
PIA has revealed that it has recovered the black box of the aircraft from the crash site and it is working towards ascertaining the cause behind the crash. It further added that rescue operations also remain underway.
36 Bodies Recovered from Crash Site
Pakistan Army’s military media wing, ISPR has said that 21 bodies have been recovered so far in the rescue operation being carried out by over 500 Pakistani Army personnel.
The army has revealed that all burnt bodies will be shifted to Ayub Medical Teaching Hospital Abbottabad, according to PDMA Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa.
Crew of Flight PK 661
Flight 661 which crashed in Havelian went down with five crew members who according to media reports are feared dead in the crash.
All Bodies Burned Beyond Recognition: Govt Official
Taj Muhammad Khan, a government official from the Havelian region speaking to Reuters has said that there are likely no survivors from the crash.
Passenger List of Flight 661
There were 31 men, 9 women and 2 infants on board the flight, including at least three foreigners when the plane crashed according to local media reports.
Rescue Teams Have Been Sent to the Spot
Army troops and helicopters have been dispatched to the spot for rescue efforts, according to military’s media wing ISPR. “All resources are being mobilised to locate the aircraft. Media will be kept informed as situation develops,” PIA spokesperson Danial Gilani said in a statement.
According to local media reports, singer and television personality Junaid Jamshed and his family were also on board.
- Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) aircraft ATR-42 crash: 42 people, 5 crew members killed.
- Famous pop singer-turned-Islamic preacher Junaid Jamshed and 3 foreigners among dead.
- The aircraft went off radar near Havelian, a hilly region in Abbottabad at 4:30 pm.
- The flight was flying from Chitral to Islamabad.
- PIA recovered the blackbox from crash site but cause of crash remained unknown.