Over 400 Militants Surrender in Balochistan
As many as 434 militants belonging to different banned outfits have surrendered in Pakistan's restive Balochistan province.
The militants, who handed over their arms to authorities in Quetta on Friday, belong to the Baloch Republican Army (BRA), Baloch Liberation Army (BLA) and other separatist groups alleged to have carried out attacks on security installations and personnel in the troubled province.
Commander Southern Command Lieutenant General Amir Riaz said on the occasion that those wanting to return to normal life were welcome to do so after surrendering.
Balochistan Chief Minister Sanaullah Zehri alleged that for long foreign agencies had used innocent people in the province, misleading and instigating them.
Sher Mohammad, a key commander of the proscribed BLA, said they had been deceived by "anti-Pakistan" elements. A senior provincial official said so far over 1,500 militants have surrendered.
Pakistan says its borders with Afghanistan and Iran in Balochistan are being used to instigate and train people to carry out subversive activities in the country.
(The Quint is now on WhatsApp. To receive handpicked stories on topics you care about, subscribe to our WhatsApp services. Just go to TheQuint.com/WhatsApp and hit the Subscribe button.