London Bridge Terrorist Attack: 2 Killed, Suspect Shot Dead
London Ambulance Service declared it as a “major incident”.
A man has been shot and a number of people injured in stabbings at London Bridge, Scotland Yard said on Friday, 29 November, adding that the incident is being treated as “terror-related” as a precaution.
Two people who were injured in the attack have died, according to London’s police commissioner. Three other people who were injured are being treated at hospital.
The scene, in an extremely busy area in the heart of the British capital, remains cordoned off with heavy police and emergency services presence.
Scotland Yard confirmed that one male suspect wearing a hoax bomb vest had been shot dead at the scene.
“At this stage, the circumstances relating to the incident at London Bridge remain unclear. However, as a precaution, we are currently responding to this incident as though it is terror-related. One man has been shot by police,” a Metropolitan Police statement said.
“If you are near the scene, please follow the directions of any officer on the ground,” it added in a statement.
London Ambulance Service declared it as a "major incident".
Noa Bodner, who is stuck in a restaurant on London Bridge, told BBC News channel, "There was a rush of people coming in and everybody basically dived under the tables.
“We were told to keep away from the windows, people that came from the outside were saying that shots were fired.” She said the manager ran to lock the doors and staff told people to move away from the front of the restaurant.
She said the mood was "calm", "some people seem a bit distressed, but they're being looked after by friends or staff".
London Bridge was one of the areas targeted by an ISIS-claimed terrorist attack in June 2017, when 11 people died as terrorists went on a stabbing spree after ramming a van into pedestrians.
(With inputs from ANI and PTI)
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.