Princess Diana smiles wearing a Cambridge tiara during a dinner and a reception at the British Embassy in Washington, DC on 10 November 1985. (Photo: Reuters)
In Pics: Remembering Princess Diana on Her Birth Anniversary
Remembering Princess Diana on her birth anniversary.
(This story was first published on 1 July 2016. It is being reposted from The Quint’s archives to mark Princess Diana’s birth anniversary.)
One of the most adored members of the British royal family, Lady Diana was born Diana Frances Spencer on 1 July 1961 near Sandringham, Norfolk.
– Princess Diana died on 31 August 1997 in a car crash in Paris.
– She became Lady Diana Spencer after her fatherinherited the title of Earl Spencer in 1975.
– Lady Diana Spencer worked as a nursery schoolassistant at the Young England Kindergarten, Pimlico, London.
– Lady Diana became Princess of Wales when shemarried the Prince of Wales on 29 July 1981.
– The ceremony was aired on television around theworld and was considered to be the wedding of the century.
– Diana and Charles had their two children, PrinceWilliam Arthur Philip Louis on 21 June 1982, and Prince Henry Charles AlbertDavid on 15 September 1984.
– She did a lot of charity work, visitingterminally ill people over the world, and leading campaigns for animal protectionand AIDS awareness.
– Diana met several times with Mother Teresa.
– The Princess was famously the 1st member of theRoyal Family to have contact with AIDS victims and helped to break down globalmisconceptions about the disease.
– She was a fashion icon whose style was emulatedby women around the world.
– In 1999, TIME named Diana one of the 100 MostImportant People of the 20th Century.
– In 2002, Diana was ranked 3rd on the BBC’s pollof the 100 Greatest Britons.
Never Miss Out
Stay tuned with our weekly recap of what’s hot & cool by The Quint.