Clinton Scraps Charlotte Trip Amid Unrest Over Police Brutality
US Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton has postponed a trip planned for Sunday to Charlotte, North Carolina, which has seen sometimes violent protests after a black man was killed by police earlier this week.
On Friday, the mayor of Charlotte publicly asked the two presidential candidates, Clinton and Trump, to delay their planned visits owing to security concerns.
“Hillary is grateful for, and intends to honour, the invitation from faith leaders to visit with the Charlotte community,” Clinton’s campaign said in a statement on Friday.
“After further discussion with community leaders, we have decided to postpone Sunday’s trip so as to not impact the city’s resources,” it said, adding that Clinton will visit the city on the following Sunday.
Charlotte Marchers Demand Police Release Shooting Tapes
About 300 protesters took to the streets of Charlotte, North Carolina, in a fourth night of demonstrations on Friday, calling on authorities to “release the tapes” of the fatal police shooting of a black man, hours after his family released its own video.
Protesters gathered after nightfall in a small park and others chalked the names of police shooting victims from across the country on a street, but there was no sign of the violence that marked demonstrations earlier in the week.
Protesters marched under the eye of armed National Guard troops, chanting “Resist the police” along with calls for the video of Tuesday’s shooting of Keith Scott, a 43-year-old father of seven, to be made public.
Charlotte police have claimed that Scott was armed with a gun, something that the family has denied.
(With inputs from Reuters)
(Make sure you don't miss fresh news updates from us. Click here to stay updated )