ADVERTISEMENT

Video of Live Wire Falling On a Man Shared With a False Claim

The person was reportedly electrocuted after a wire fell on him at the Kharagpur railway station in West Bengal.

Published
WebQoof
2 min read
Video of Live Wire Falling On a Man Shared With a False Claim
i

The Quint DAILY

For impactful stories you just can’t miss

By subscribing you agree to our Privacy Policy

A video showing a person collapsing on a railway station platform while talking to another person has gone viral on the internet.

The claim: Those sharing the video have claimed that the person was electrocuted because he was using earphones near the high tension wires of the railways. According to the posts, 'when the earphones were activated by the internet, a current came from the wires.'

A claim with the viral video.

(Source: Facebook/Screenshot)

(Note: Due to the distressing nature of the visuals, we have refrained from including any links in the story.)

The truth: The person was reportedly electrocuted after a stray wire got in contact with the over head equipments (OHE) (an overhead wire used to transmit electrical energy to trains) and then fell on his head.

  • The railway employee, identified as Sujan Singh Sardar, received injuries and burns, but recovered after being taken to the hospital.

ADVERTISEMENT

How did we find that out?: We conducted a reverse image search on a keyframe from the viral video and found a news report on India Today, which carried a screenshot.

A link to the report can be found here.

(Source: India Today/Screenshot)

  • According to the report, a railway staff received burn injuries after being electrocuted by a live wire at Kharagpur railway station in West Bengal.

  • The official was identified as Sujan Singh Sardar, a travelling ticket examiner (TTE).

  • The report was published in other publications like The Indian Express and NDTV.

ADVERTISEMENT

How was he electrocuted?: The reports mentioned that a live wire fell on Sardar causing the burn injuries.

  • In an interview with Zee, Kharagpur DRM Mohammad Sujat Hashmi said that while the exact cause of the incident was yet to be ascertained, a decorative wire fell on the OHE causing it to snap and fall on Sardar.

  • Hashmi added that Sardar was in a stable condition.

Conclusion: The claim that a person was electrocuted because of using earphones near a railway platform is false.

ADVERTISEMENT

(Not convinced of a post or information you came across online and want it verified? Send us the details on WhatsApp at 9643651818, or e-mail it to us at webqoof@thequint.com and we'll fact-check it for you. You can also read all our fact-checked stories here.)

(At The Quint, we are answerable only to our audience. Play an active role in shaping our journalism by becoming a member. Because the truth is worth it.)

Read and Breaking News at the Quint, browse for more from news and webqoof

Topics:   Indian Railways   Fact Check   Webqoof 

ADVERTISEMENT
Speaking truth to power requires allies like you.
Become a Member
22

25 10% off

90

100 10% off

180

200 10% off

or more

PREMIUM

3 months
12 months
12 months
Check Member Benefits
Read More
ADVERTISEMENT
Stay Updated

Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.

Join over 120,000 subscribers!
ADVERTISEMENT
More News
×
×