No, a Phone Didn’t Explode... It Was an Electric Scooter Battery
CCTV footage of a device exploding while being charged has gone viral on social media with the claim that it is a phone which burst aflame after being put on charge overnight.
The video has been shared with the message: “रात को फोन चार्ज में रखकर सोना नहीं चाहिए”
The video has been shared quite widely on Facebook.
TRUE OR FALSE?
The video does not show a phone exploding while being charged but the battery of an electric scooter in China's Shanghai.
WHAT WE FOUND OUT
The time stamp on the video indicates that the incident took place on 11 May 2019. Moreover, the footage shows Chinese script beside the time stamp.
A reverse image search of one of the key frames on Yandex led us to the website Live Leak, where the same video had been uploaded with the description: Electric scooter battery explodes while charging in a Shanghai apartment.
We followed through with the search and looked up keywords “electric scooter battery exploded Shanghai”, which led to a report on the incident by South China Morning Post.
Acording to SCMP, the battery exploded while it was being charged in an apartment in Shanghai.
The online video news community Newsflare had the video too and detailed that only a few items were destroyed in the fire which had been doused by the house owner and some neighbours.