Siachen Area, World’s Highest Battlefield, Now Open for Tourism
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh took to Twitter to make the announcement.
Video Editor: Mohd Ibrahim
Video Producer: Aparna Singh
Adventure enthusiasts can now boast of visiting the highest battlefield in the world. Defence Minister Rajnath Singh on Monday, 21 October, announced that the Siachen area will be opened for tourism purposes.
“Ladakh has tremendous potential in Tourism. Better connectivity in Ladakh would certainly bring tourists in large numbers. The Siachen area is now open for tourists and Tourism. From Siachen Base Camp to Kumar Post, the entire area has been opened for Tourism purposes,” Singh tweeted.
Speaking of the border issues with China, Singh said both nations have handled them responsibly and with maturity. China and India have clashed on multiple occasions in the Eastern Ladakh sector.
Until recently, the Indian Army did not allow civilians to access the premises near Siachen Glacier other than the locals who live nearby and serve as porters for the forces. Only select few journalists and enthusiasts have been allowed so far.
India Today, quoting Army sources, had reported in September that the plan was being contemplated upon to allow people to see the difficulties and daily challenges faced by personnel of the Indian Army who man the area in extremely harsh weather conditions.
The sources also said Army chief General Bipin Rawat has said people have developed a keen interest in the Army life and its ways.
The Army is also considering opening up more of its operational positions in the high altitude terrain in Ladakh for common people to see, India Today had reported.
The Siachen Glacier, the highest battlefield in the world, is a part of Ladakh, which is now a Union Territory, after the Narendra Modi government bifurcated Jammu and Kashmir in August this year.
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.