Uttarakhand Political Crisis Stalls Rajya Sabha Proceedings
Catch all the live updates of the Parliament proceedings on Day 2 of the second half of the Budget session.
- The Rajya Sabha was adjourned for the day after multiple adjournments.
- Rajya Sabha welcomed new members: Sardar Sukhdev Singh Dhindsa, Swapan Dasgupta, Narendra Jadhav, Mary Kom, Subramanian Swamy.
- Rajya Sabha members raised Uttarakhand and JNU issues.
- Opposition members entered the Well, raised anti-Modi slogans.
- Rajya Sabha saw repeated adjournments.
- Lok Sabha raised the drought situation and the issue of outstation students in NIT Srinagar.
- Declassification of Netaji Files were discussed in Lok Sabha.
The Rajya Sabha was disrupted again on Tuesday over the issue of President’s rule in Uttarakhand, with other opposition parties supporting the Congress in its demand for a debate on the issue.
The Congress, supported by the Left, Samajwadi Party and Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP), demanded an immediate discussion on the issue.
As far as Article 356 and Uttarakhand is concerned we also have a lot to say. It has never happened in 68 years of independence that presiding officers convert minority into majority and vice versa. This is the real breakdown of the constitutional machinery.Arun Jaitley, Union Minister of Finance
Congress members then trooped near the chairman’s podium shouting slogans following which the house was adjourned till noon.
The members of Opposition chanted:
Modi teri tanashahi, nahi chalegi, nahi chalegi. (Your dictatorship will not be tolerated, Modi).
The scenario was the same when the house met again at noon for Question Hour and an angry Chairman M Hamid Ansari first adjourned the house till 12.35 pm and then till 2 pm. Finally the Rajya Sabha was adjourned for the day after multiple adjournments.
The Chairman of Rajya Sabha, Hamid Ansari admitted and sent CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury’s privilege motion on JNU against HRD Minister Smriti Irani to the Committee of Privileges.
BJP MP from Himachal Pradesh, Anurag Thakur, gave notice in the Lok Sabha for discussion on the Augusta Westland scam and the Ishrat Jahan case.
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.