High Voter Turnout in Jind & Ramgarh Bypolls, Counting on 31 Jan
The results will be declared on 31 January.
A high voter turnout on Monday, 28 January, was recorded in by-elections to the Jind Assembly constituency in Haryana and the Ramgarh Assembly constituency in Rajasthan, where the Congress and BJP are locked in a battle of prestige.
In Jind bypolls, polling percentage was recorded at 75.77 percent, officials said. The bypoll was necessitated following the death of INLD legislator Hari Chand Midha. Congress has fielded party Spokesperson Randeep Singh Surjewala against BJP's Krishna Midda in the constituency.
The turnout was 78.9 percent in Ramgarh, where the election was deferred following the death of BSP candidate Laxman Singh a few days before the 7 December Rajasthan Assembly polls, which saw the Congress defeat the BJP-led dispensation in the state.
- Officials said the turnout in both seats is likely to increase as there were people in queues in several booths after 5 pm, the scheduled time for voting to end
- Counting of votes will take place on 31 January
- Senior leader Randeep Surjewala is the Congress’ candidate from Jind while BJP has fielded Krishna Midda
- The fight for Ramgarh is a three-way contest between the candidates of BJP, BSP and the Congress
Click here to read the live updates in Hindi.
Who Are the Candidates in Jind?
Congress has fielded senior leader and party spokesperson Randeep Surjewala while BJP has fielded Krishna Midda, and JJP has fielded Digvijay Chautala from Jind.
Nearly 1.70-lakh people, including 80,556 women, are eligible to vote, officials said. Braving cold weather conditions, people could be seen queuing up at various polling booths to cast their vote. There are 71 polling booths in rural areas of this constituency and 103 polling booths fall in urban areas.
Who Are the Candidates in Ramgarh?
- BSP has fielded former union minister Natwar Singh’s son Jagat Singh.
- Congress is relying on Safia Zubair Khan.
- BJP has fielded Sukhwant Singh.
Voting Currently Underway in Jind
Voting is currently underway for bypolls to the Jind Assembly constituency.
Randeep Surjewala Offers Prayer at Somnath Temple
Randeep Surjewala offers prayer at Somnath temple.
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.